The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: do we all have aspergers syndrom??
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 pm 
Victor II
aspergers syndrom in a lot of casses goes undetected since the person that has this type of autism is perfectly normal in every other way.
exept that they have a very deep obsession with something
many asperger persons are hoarders of one particular theme this might be coins/stamps but also might into bigger things like phonographs
some aspergers might have even multiple obsessions and.. find a job to suit it thus it isn't dyagnosed still many times there's a house full of stuff that gets bigger and bigger
in dayly life no problem to us only maybe to the partner we might have

the reason i bring this up is that i'm currently in the prosses of being dyagnosed with this
if you might have this condition not to worry you are not mad it's been researched that people like,... stanly kubrick, robin williams, leonardo da vincy, albert einstein had the condition so you are not in bad company!(suspected aspergers are, dan harmon and adam savage and more,...)

tino

Post subject: Re: do we all have aspergers syndrom??
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:40 pm 
Victor IV
I don't know about Asperger's but I have CRS disease for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 pm 
Victor IV
But seriously... not making light of your situation but if a phonograph obsession is solely what your diagnosis is based on you need a second opinion. If that were true, EVERYONE would have Asperger's... Sports fans, music fans, collectors of every variety and everyone who has a cause they care deeply about.

If you "hoard" specific things only, I'd say you're a collector rather than an Asperger's patient. Hoarders hoard EVERYTHING. They can't throw ANYTHING away. But is even that alone Aspergers? Aspergers sufferers have real social skills issues. I know some people with it, and believe me, all the phono people I've met seem pretty normal compared to the Asperger's people I know... and that's an observation, not a criticism.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm 
Victor III
gramophone-georg wrote:
I don't know about Asperger's but I have CRS disease for sure.
If I recall correctly I have that too or it was something else,I dunno!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:33 pm 
Victor Jr
There could be some basis in this. The autism spectrum is extremely broad, and is is indeed a condition that is difficult to diagnose. My condition was diagnosed late in life (40’s) but in hindsight explains a lot of my anxiety and social discomfort that I’ve tried to work through since my teens.

I am a “collector” of lots of things - Monopoly games, Volkswagen stuff, movies, music and now phonographs. What I realized is that I tend to be a completist - something very hard to fight. I want one of everything, including all releases by an artist, all versions of a particular phonograph I like, all of the Monopoly token variations ever produced... I am also drawn to number, list and and repetitive songs like 12 Days of Christmas, The Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, we Didn’t Start The Fire, etc.

The major manifestation of the syndrome for me is with music. I’m a self-taught piano player, and although I can read music, I’ve primarily played by ear most of my life. I just hear it in my head and play it. As I get older, I find this skill to be strengthening. I play better than I ever did, despite months between sitting down and actually playing, so I wouldn’t credit “practicing”. I have also been developing perfect pitch, naturally, not though training. I consider this s blessing of my condition.

The bad part is that once I develop an obsession, I can’t break it. I see something I want, and I can’t rest until I obtain it. At almost any financial cost. Whether I can really afford it ir not. I spent a lot of money at Wayne...

If someone does have a similar condition, the advise I can give is learn your triggers and find ways to mitigate the impulses and urges. Set limits for your spending, and make adjustments to your life to avoid obsessive behavior. Also, if you do have the often accompanying social anxiety, try to find someone to accompany you, with whom you are comfortable, who can help rein you in to make sound purchasing decisions. I made the mistake of going to Wayne on my own. I spent the first hour walking around, totally overwhelmed. I did see some familiar names from the forums, but it took me 2 hours before I started introducing myself and chatting with folks.

Sorry for the tome. Just wanted to let the OP know that they are not alone.
Brunswick Model 120, Mahogany, 2-sided Ultona Reproducer, c.1919
Victor Victrola VV-IV (Type E) in Golden Oak, Exhibition and HMV No. 4 Sound Box, c.1916

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 pm 
Victor IV
A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!
I certainly do, and it has led to much ridicule as we sometimes look at the world in a much more detailed, and different look, both socially, politically,scientifically, and that has lead to people to call me things like "Misguided Hobbyist" (Michael Shoshani) and others who are shocked by some of the "strange" (not strange to me) things i write, I often wonder if genius itself is an offshoot of Asperger Syndrome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 am 
Victor IV
There's a very thin line between genius and madness! Most collectors are mad, if we're being completely honest so does that make collectors all geniuses? :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 am 
Victor II
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
Steve wrote:
There's a very thin line between genius and madness! Most collectors are mad, if we're being completely honest so does that make collectors all geniuses? :?

It might be best to ask spouses. I think it would be pretty clear that "geniuses" would not come up! :roll: :lol:
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am 
Victor IV
I'm scared, I'm starting to hear those dreaded words, "isn't it time to thin out your collection?" I heard this recently while working on the Amberola 75 I recently acquired off CL :D :D I've had several house guests who looked at my collection and I know they were thinking intervention.........oh well, too late now... :lol:

Bill K

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am 
Victor II
Steve wrote:

There is a very thin line between aspergers (as is applied here) and greed.
:lol: