The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help with identification:is this gramophone the real dea
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 am 
Victor III
F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.
The cabinet didn't need to be restored at all, IMHO. You risk to get back an overdone cabinet, possibly painted with wrong materials. For a cabinet in such good conditions, you've been asked prices that are out of this world IMO.

If you're rehauling the springs by yourself, I warmly suggest to avoid weird processes, like doing the work inside a bag, letting the spring go, or hanging the spring to the ceiling etc. All you need is a table that can be cleaned with gasoline when the work is done. Always hold the spring and barrel firmly: you shall control the spring, and not allow the spring to take over. Remember, before attempting to remove the barrel, that the spring shall be fully unwounded with absolutely no force applied to the gears, otherwise you risk to destroy the gears themselves and injury your hands.

There goes the unwinding of the spring. I assume by your nickname that you're a woman. The only thing that I'm not sure a woman could do is to re-engage the spring to the rivet inside the barrel and wind the first turns. In some cases it took all of my strength to do it, and I'm definitely not a wuss. When you plan to reinstall the spring, perhaps you should keep a man "at your fingertips", just in case everything else fails. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am 
Victor III
Marco Gilardetti wrote:
The cabinet didn't need to be restored at all, IMHO. You risk to get back an overdone cabinet, possibly painted with wrong materials. For a cabinet in such good conditions, you've been asked prices that are out of this world IMO.

If you're rehauling the springs by yourself, I warmly suggest to avoid weird processes, like doing the work inside a bag, letting the spring go, or hanging the spring to the ceiling etc. All you need is a table that can be cleaned with gasoline when the work is done. Always hold the spring and barrel firmly: you shall control the spring, and not allow the spring to take over. Remember, before attempting to remove the barrel, that the spring shall be fully unwounded with absolutely no force applied to the gears, otherwise you risk to destroy the gears themselves and injury your hands.

There goes the unwinding of the spring. I assume by your nickname that you're a woman. The only thing that I'm not sure a woman could do is to re-engage the spring to the rivet inside the barrel and wind the first turns. In some cases it took all of my strength to do it, and I'm definitely not a wuss. When you plan to reinstall the spring, perhaps you should keep a man "at your fingertips", just in case everything else fails. ;)

Oh dear :oops: embarrassed for you , I know lots of women who change springs !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 am 
Victor III
Marco Gilardetti wrote:

And I agree that the case is restorable by anyone , what does wood glue and some clamps cost $50 ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 pm 
Victor Jr
I really appreciated your comments. Thank you.

I told the restaurateur to only make it stable and strong enough to use it. He only will remove the old glue, saw expanded wood, strengthen the borders with new wood blocks, no paiting nor replacing wood parts etc.

I don't want to have this gramophone as a decoration, I want to use it frequently. In the pictures it doesn't look that bad, but the whole border is loose and wood is shrunk or expanded.

Pre-owners nailed it very unprofessionally.

Just by using it for some days it got worse and wood was breaking. The nails caused the wood to crack and splinter.

For cleaning the spring I ordered cut resistant gloves and my husband will assist me. I will do it in our front yard.

Attachments:
DSC03893.JPG
DSC03893.JPG [ 200.44 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03892.JPG
DSC03892.JPG [ 252.85 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03888.JPG
DSC03888.JPG [ 325.36 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03887.JPG
DSC03887.JPG [ 312.73 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03886.JPG
DSC03886.JPG [ 228.78 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03885.JPG
DSC03885.JPG [ 215.24 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03884.JPG
DSC03884.JPG [ 312.37 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03871.JPG
DSC03871.JPG [ 270.06 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03869.JPG
DSC03869.JPG [ 265.04 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03868.JPG
DSC03868.JPG [ 283.68 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03866.JPG
DSC03866.JPG [ 207.6 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03865.JPG
DSC03865.JPG [ 291.57 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03864.JPG
DSC03864.JPG [ 297.28 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03863.JPG
DSC03863.JPG [ 276.77 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03862.JPG
DSC03862.JPG [ 737.11 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03799.JPG
DSC03799.JPG [ 174.03 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03790.JPG
DSC03790.JPG [ 176.48 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
DSC03788.JPG
DSC03788.JPG [ 4.82 MiB | Viewed 119 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:06 pm 
Victor O
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Layla--

I like the attitude to using it frequently. Good plan.

Also, some nice gramophones you have collected!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 am 
Victor III
F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.
Indeed it looked more solid than it actually is in the early pictures. I, in turn, approve your plans of using it frequently! 8-)

Gloves are a good idea in any case, also to protect your hands/nails from dirt, however you will find out that contrary to common belief the edges of the spring are not sharp and can be handled safely. By the way, remember to wear "work" clothes you don't care about, or an overall: it will definitely be a "dirty" work. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 am 
Victor III
Marco Gilardetti wrote:
Indeed it looked more solid than it actually is in the early pictures. I, in turn, approve your plans of using it frequently! 8-)

Gloves are a good idea in any case, also to protect your hands/nails from dirt, however you will find out that contrary to common belief the edges of the spring are not sharp and can be handled safely. By the way, remember to wear "work" clothes you don't care about, or an overall: it will definitely be a "dirty" work. ;)

No the spring edge isn't sharp per se , BUT I have had leather gloves sliced through when a spring has slipped ! if I hadn't had gloves on that would have been me !