Help with identification:is this gramophone the real deal?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Layla
Victor Jr

Re: Help with identification:is this gramophone the real dea

Post by Layla »

JerryVan wrote:Layla,

When removing the spring, if not already mentioned, add a pair of safety goggles to your list. And a pair for anyone that will be in the vicinity.
A gramophone mechanic told me to disassemble the spring and make the shaft coarse with sandpaper. Does anyone has a manual or a how-to video for how to remove the spring? Is there a trick which makes the work easier?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

When removing the spring, if not already mentioned, add a pair of safety goggles to your list. And a pair for anyone that will be in the vicinity.
I concur!

Happy Holidays!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Layla wrote:

A gramophone mechanic told me to disassemble the spring and make the shaft coarse with sandpaper. Does anyone has a manual or a how-to video for how to remove the spring? Is there a trick which makes the work easier?
Which spring?

If you mean the non-return spring on the winding shaft, roughening the shaft is only a temporary fix: the roughness will soon wear down, and the problem will return. The best course is to replace the spring.

Take some spring wire of the same diameter as the original, and wind it round a steel rod of slightly smaller diameter than the winding shaft. You may have to anneal one or both ends of the wire, in order to form a loop for the screw that holds the spring in place. Work the new spring onto the shaft, and it should hold better than the old one (make sure that both spring and shaft are thoroughly degreased).

Bill