CLPGS AGM Weekend 6th to 8th October 2017

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Wagnerian
Victor II

CLPGS AGM Weekend 6th to 8th October 2017

Post by Wagnerian »

The programme for this years AGM weekend in Great Malvern, Worcestershire is now just about finalised. As in previous years, this will take place in the Abbey Hotel, Abbey Road, Great Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3ET. with most events taking place in the Shaw Suite.

Friday 6th October
18:00 (Worcester Suite)Wine Reception and Welcome from the Chairman of the Board
19:00 Dinner in the Hotel's Priory Restaurant
Rest of the evening at leisure in the bar or lounge.

Saturday 7th October
10:00 "Opera on Cylinder" presented by Tim Wood-Woolley live on an Edison Opera/Concert phonograph
11:00 Break for tea and coffee
11:30 "The World Record Controller" presented by Klaus Joessel
12:30 Buffet Lunch
14:15 "Feline Fun" presented by Peter Adamson
15:15 Break for tea and coffee
15:45 "Researching Record Labels" presented by Bill Dean-Myatt
17:00 Break
19:30 Gala Dinner in the Shaw Suite
21:30(approx) After Dinner Talk by Eddie Dunn

Sunday 8th October
09:30 Formal Annual General Meeting followed by an open forum of questions to the Board(Admission is free to all CLPGS members).
10:30 Break for tea and coffee
11:00 Members Auction
13:15 Carvery Lunch in the Hotel Restaurant
15:00 A Concert by the Malvern Male Voice Choir
16:15 Break
19:30 Dinner in the Hotel Restaurant

I understand that there is still some accommodation available in the hotel, otherwise Great Malvern has many other Hotels, Guest Houses and Bed and Breakfast establishments.

If you would wish to join us this year for what looks like another cracking weekend, please contact Dave Roberts on phonographs@btinternet.com who will be delighted to advise you on all the options currently available.

I hope to see many of you there again this year.

Tim Wood-Woolley

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: CLPGS AGM Weekend 6th to 8th October 2017

Post by epigramophone »

You will certainly see my wife and I there. What will I drag home from the auction this year?

Roger.

Wagnerian
Victor II

Re: UPDATED: CLPGS AGM Weekend 6th to 8th October 2017

Post by Wagnerian »

Another most successful weekend in Great Malvern at the foot of the Malvern Hills. I'm sure that everyone who was actually there enjoyed themselves, indeed all the feedback I received was most enthusiastic.

As usual the weekend opened with an informal wine reception hosted by the Society's President Christopher Proudfoot and Chairman of the Board, Keith Harrison who announced he was stepping down from his current role.
_President Christopher Proudfoot(right) with retiring Board Chgairman, Keith Harrison.jpg
The CLPGS is greatly honoured that Simon Blumlein, the son of Alan Blumlein has agreed to become a Patron of the Society. Simon joins fellow Patrons, Oliver Berliner, Grandson of Emile Berliner and Dave Roberts who has done more than anyone to keep the Society's show on the road over many years.

Here is Simon showing the Gramy Award he received on behalf of his father.
Simon Blumlein with the posthumous Gramy Award to his father, Alan.jpg
Peter Adamson had also received an award for his series of articles on the Gramophone Company's Maiden Lane Offices,from the prestigious ARSC.
Peter Adamson with his ARSC Award.jpg
Saturdays Proceedings began with "Opera on Cylinder" an exploration of operatic greats from the Edison catalogue
Tim Wood-Woolley on Opetra on Cylinder.jpg
Klaus Joessel gave an amazing presentation of the World Record Controller - a bizzare gizmo for allowing the constant linear speed of the record groove under the needle to increase playing time. Many collectors in Europe are familiar with the concept but this is the first time I, or I suspect many collectors, have actually seen and heard one play.
Klaus Joessel on Worrld Record controller.jpg
After lunch, Peter Adamson launched into Feline Fun on cats of all sizes.
Peter Adamson on Feline Fun.jpg
The Afternoon's talks ended with Bill Dean-Myatt on Researching Record Label Histories
Bill Dean-Myatt on Researching Record Label Histories.jpg
View of Saturday's Gala Dinner with a view of the auction lots along the left hand wall
Gala Dinner with a view of some of the auction lots..jpg
The After Dinner Speaker was the gently humourous, Eddie Dunn, with Work on Record
Eddie Dunn with Brian Oakley and Dave Dick.jpg
Sunday opened with the Society's Annual General Meeting, a legal requirement in a set format as we are a Limited Company and was followed after tea and coffee by the Auction - for many people the highlight of the weekend.

Sunday afternoon's entertainement was provided by the ever versatile Malvern Male Voice Choir.
Malvern Male Voice Choir.jpg
All in all another memorable weekend and I for one look forward to next year.

All the best

Tim Wood-Woolley