Anyone have any Parlophone / Lindstrom machine catalogues?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Anyone have any Parlophone / Lindstrom machine catalogues?

Post by Steve »

I wonder if anyone reading this forum has any Parlophone machine catalogues. Similar to Pathé, there doesn't seem to be much information about regarding the gramophones made by Lindstrom on the internet. I have a Parlophone gramophone and would like to know which model it is in particular.

For those collectors unfamiliar with Carl Lindstrom products, the German company made some of the finest and grandest cabinets of any maker. The best motors produced were also made by Lindstrom and they are BY FAR the biggest motors I've ever encountered in any mechanically powered disc machine. On a full winding, you can play 8 to 10 records fairly easily. The motors are massive, the cabinets are monsters and the horns are bigger than anything the other side of EMG/Expert or maybe Carl Below's "Mammut" Trombophone!

Steve
Victor VI

Re: Anyone have any Parlophone / Lindstrom machine catalogue

Post by Steve »

Or would it be simpler to just purchase Phonogalerie outright?!!

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that all my questions here which invariably go unanswered, always seem to get a response elsewhere? That's curious. :?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Steve wrote:Or would it be simpler to just purchase Phonogalerie outright?!!

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that all my questions here which invariably go unanswered, always seem to get a response elsewhere? That's curious. :?
I don't think it's curious, I think there's just a very high chance that none of us have any of those catalogs. :lol: I certainly don't nor have I ever seen one, I wouldn't mind seeing one, though!

Sean

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Steve wrote:I wonder if anyone else has noticed that all my questions here which invariably go unanswered, always seem to get a response elsewhere? That's curious. :?
Why not formulate your question to be more specific. "Here is a photo of my parlophone, does anyone know which model / year it is"

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Steve - this collector in Germany has lots of catalogs listed on his site, including Lindstrom and Parlophone. I don't think he sells, but rather is interested in trade/exchange of catalogs and parts. English translation is available. http://www.sprechapparate.de/index.htm

Good luck
Andreas

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

To Orthosean - I meant that questions which do not get responded to here always appear to get answered on another forum which cannot be named for legal reasons! ;) :shock:

To Sidewinder - you're right of course BUT I have been more specific in the past and got even less response! ;) I find that if you're more general in your questions you effectively widen the net so to speak and potentially more respondents can have their say. Then maybe, you can fine tune your questions about specific items. At the moment I am simply wanting to see general Lindstrom catalogues. I doubt I'll find my machine in there though.

To Alang - thank you for the link. I was not aware of that site so I will trundle off to take a long peek at it now! :)

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Sidewinder wrote: Why not formulate your question to be more specific. "Here is a photo of my parlophone, does anyone know which model / year it is"
I have a voluminous Beka catalogue of 1912 picturing 50 (!) open horn machines. Lindström was involved in this company from 1910. If I had a photo of your gramophone I could check my catalogue.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

Steve wrote:I wonder if anyone else has noticed that all my questions here which invariably go unanswered, always seem to get a response elsewhere? That's curious. :?
It is not surprising. The person in the other place is like a little child pulling at the sleeves of a group of adults having a conversation. He is so frustrated that they will not let him join in that he screams insults at them while throwing in any information that he thinks is relevant to the conversation from which is he excluded.

I wonder which came first, the madness or the record collecting? I am reminded of a scene in the film "High Fidelity" where the record shop owner refuses to sell a record he does not like for a sum of money far beyond what it is worth because he enjoys the power this gives him over the person who really wants it. It is a poor life if you have to resort to such tactics to entice anyone to even talk to you and quite an achievement to have alienated almost everyone you have ever conversed with.

Does this help at all?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gramophone-ad ... 1227399505
$(KGrHqR,!q4FDm3rluK3BRF+)!HUvg~~60_58.JPG
$(KGrHqR,!q4FDm3rluK3BRF+)!HUvg~~60_58.JPG (42.77 KiB) Viewed 3329 times

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Thanks dd2u for the scan and link. However that catalogue is a copy of an excerpt from Roger Thorne's collection of paper items. "Redfruitseller" bought the original and sold it on Ebay. The copies are now circulating but they are all from the ENGLISH market. My machine is definitely GERMAN so no, sadly, it is not relevant. BTW, I have already seen it on the "other forum". ;)

I will post a picture for Starkton shortly - thank you if you can help.