HMV style 3 help needed

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

HMV style 3 help needed

Post by Inigo »

A question for our British colleagues, although americans also can help, for the motor is equivalent to a Victor model. In this hmv motor, the spindle gear must be installed as in the photo or the other way? I'm referring to the thin brass collar around the spindle on one side, and the thick brass collar with set screw on the opposite side. Which of both sides must go up against the upper motor plate and which one must be downside, more accessible. Is the set screw side the one that must go down, i. E. more accessible from the bottom of the motor? I've noticed that when the set screw side goes down it is more easily accessible, but it tends to hit against the bullgear on the spotting barrel... See the photos and if any kind soul can help me telling of this is right or wrong...
IMG_20200524_091119.jpg
IMG_20200524_091256.jpg
IMG_20200524_092126.jpg
IMG_20200524_092130.jpg
And another question... One of the governor bearings is plain, and the other has a Groove in it, to fix its position with the set screw. I've always believed that the fixed one must go in the side towards which the motor pushes the governor axle when running, to ensure a fixed position of the governor axle, so in my photo it should go up, near the sliding disc. But when I fisrt dissasembled it, I found it placed at the lower deep end of the governor, beside the worm. Which is right?
Thanks...
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: HMV style 3 help needed

Post by nostalgia »

Inigo, have you got yourself a rare horn gramophone now, or is it one for repair?
I can't answer your questions with confidence, since I have not serviced this particular HMV motor, but like you, I so far have found the set screws for the governor placed as you also suggest, BUT they may be different for this motor, so I will not suggest anything.
For the brass collar on the spindle axis, does this problem not solve itself when you attach the collar so the set screw is positioned and tightened over the screw hole on the axis? From my memory, from past serviced HMV/ Victor motors, I felt the brass collar was only fitting one way, when taking into consideration the set screw is fastened to the hole in the spindle axis, but maybe this also is different on this motor, I can't really say from the photos...
I hope someone else can tell you the complete truths here.
Attachments
IMG_20200524_092126.jpg
IMG_20200524_092126.jpg (178.59 KiB) Viewed 890 times

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Thanks, nostalgia... That's the plot :this earlier axis has no hole for adjusting the gear, so no clue by this side.
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Finally I've left it this way. Seems more difficult to srew the gear to the spindle, but this must be the original way. I've seen many photos on the web of victor and HMV motors, and the gear is this or the opposite. Have not seen my model of motor (2B in the Blake guide to victor motors). Anyway, when placed the opposite (with the set screw readily on view, downwards) the motor made much more noise. And this poor motor must be old and worn out, for each time I touch it, it becomes noisier. The worm gear makes a lot of noise, sounds like a Caterpilar. With music on it's less noticeable, but I don't like it. At the end I got a final better adjustment for the Exhibition with some small rubber pads between the screws and needlebar springs, and another two pads between the needlebar plate and the knife edge supports. Thus, I've managed to soften the point and get it working at a higher compliance, with admirable results with bamboo and electrical records, as much bass as this short horn can deliver. Togehter with the glass diaphragm, of course. Anyway, this is not the original soundbox, which was round hole and I keep apart in an original HMV box. And still have another spare one with bamboo hole. Bo the original and the spare one I've left with the original mica diaphragms, and I use this one (Victor) for playing, also attached the copper elbow to the rubber back flange for better alignment.
IMG_20200524_130746[1].jpg
IMG_20200524_130816[1].jpg
IMG_20200524_180129[1].jpg
20200524.wmv
Inigo