HMV JUNIOR MONARCH - Need Info and parts

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Aussie54
Victor Jr

HMV JUNIOR MONARCH - Need Info and parts

Post by Aussie54 »

G'day All,

First time here and hoping that someone may be able to help me with my newly aquired HMV JUNIOR MONARCH. :)
I am in Melbourne, Australia.
I have in my possession just the base of this gramophone and it needs lots of restoring.
It needs the Support Bracket, Tone-Arm, Reproducer, Elbow and the Horn. :shock:

Can someone please verify that it is a JUNIOR and also what year? (see pics)

Does anyone have any scans of details, sale brouchers or parts lists etc for this unit?
If so, I would appreciate being sent a copy.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the needed components, in particular in Australia, UK USA or Elsewhere?

Thanks in advance
Aussie54
20171030_213955.jpg
20171030_214018.jpg
20171030_214922.jpg
20171030_214042.jpg
20171030_214134.jpg
20171030_214144.jpg
20171030_214929.jpg
20171030_214211.jpg
20171104_094103.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: HMV JUNIOR MONARCH - Need Info and parts

Post by epigramophone »

Welcome to the Forum. You are among friends.

Yes your machine is a Junior Monarch, and the circular transfer showing the model name dates it to between late 1910 and 1913 when it was re-named Model IV.

It had a 10.5 inch long gooseneck tonearm and an Exhibition soundbox. The standard horn was a 19 inch diameter Morning Glory, but either a 23.5 inch Morning Glory or an oak horn could be specified at extra cost. The original cost of the basic model was £5-10s.

Try placing a "Wanted" advert in the Trader section of the Forum for the parts you need. Some members hold stocks of spares and may be able to help.

Roger.

Aussie54
Victor Jr

Post by Aussie54 »

Thank you Roger for your warm welcome and advise about my Gramophone.
I will place a wanted advert and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Aussie54

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

Nice find Aussie
Your best bet is find out the type of parts you need and look on eBay for a seller who has parted a machine out. HMV horn machine parts would certainly be the more sought after bits to have in your drawer of parts. It will cost quite a bit to complete and even the turntable, speed control and brake are worthy of replacing. Any HMV horn machine is worth completing as they are hard to find in Australia.
If the machine has sentimental value, I'd complete it. But if it's for financial gain, I'd sell it as it is and let someone else take up the challenge.
Just my opinion.
Stephen
Also in melbourne

Aussie54
Victor Jr

Post by Aussie54 »

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply.
I have started to look for parts and hopefully will find them.
I do have plenty of Grammos but this baby is my first Horn Machine so I would like to work on it.
The motor all works OK.

What I am having trouble with is taking off the platter.
I have taken off many platters on many different machines, but this is the most stubborn I have come across.
It appears to be seized on there good and tight.
Tried to do the ol' Hit It With A Hammer and a piece of wood (of course).
Soaked the spindle in WD40 for a week, top and also underneath.
Even put ice on the spindle to cool it and then tried to tap off. No Go.

Was thinking of trying to remove the platter intact with spindle but would not want to damage the cogs on the spindle.
Was also thinking of slowly heating the middle of the platter (a little) and the tap off.
Not sure if that would warp the platter so hesitating......

Do you have any suggestions in getting the platter off?
cheers.
20171030_214154.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Aussie,

"Was thinking of trying to remove the platter intact with spindle but would not want to damage the cogs on the spindle."

That's exactly how to do it. You won't damage any cog teeth. Just loosen the brass governor drive gear and slide the spindle shaft out of the motor, BUT ONLY AFTER THE MOTOR IS FULLY UNWOUND. Next, support the turntable hub on the underside of the turntable. Place your support on the face of the hub itself, just adjacent to the shaft, not to the underside face of the turntable lying outside of the hub diameter. Allow clearance for the cross pin in the spindle shaft to pass as you drive the spindle out. Then using a piece of hardwood, or brass, drive out the shaft.

First, use lots of penetrating oil, soaking for several days...
Last edited by JerryVan on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Like this...
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Aussie54
Victor Jr

Post by Aussie54 »

Jerry,
I took your advice and removed the governor first and then removed the whole platter with the spindle intact. The cog on the spindle was a little tough to get off but with gentle slow levering between the coller and the gear I was able to slide it off. Your diagram was very handy and so it is now seperated. :D
I used some 0000 steel wool on the shaft and on the inside of the platter and now it fits on and off nice and snugly.

Thank you very much for your help.
Aussie

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Aussie54 wrote:Jerry,
I took your advice and removed the governor first and then removed the whole platter with the spindle intact. The cog on the spindle was a little tough to get off but with gentle slow levering between the coller and the gear I was able to slide it off. Your diagram was very handy and so it is now seperated. :D
I used some 0000 steel wool on the shaft and on the inside of the platter and now it fits on and off nice and snugly.

Thank you very much for your help.
Aussie

Great news! Glad it worked out for you and that the sketch helped.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

JerryVan wrote:Like this...
How very engineer-like of you ;)