The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: rare Teak HMV 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 542
Location: United Kingdom
Teak wrote:
The outside is highly polished, the fittings have been gilt.


While I agree with all your points, and am convinced that this is all original, I can't agree that the fittings were gilt. There is no evidence of gilding anywhere, and what you assume to be gilding on the corner pieces is in fact the brass showing through the very thin nickel plating. Look at the needle bins. Where fingers have pressed the same spot for years, the nickel has worn off, leaving the brass underneath showing. Had the bins been gilded, then those worn patches would be the bare metal underneath, with the gilt having worn off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rare Teak HMV 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:06 pm 
Offline
Victor O
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 am
Posts: 87
Location: Vienna/Austria
Gold on teak models are the outside fittings only. I will take some more pictures tomorrow. Just look at the escutchon. Clearly gold over the nickle. As with my 101 the remenance of gold is very faint in most areas, but very decernable in others, especially with a flashlight.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rare Teak HMV 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm
Posts: 1488
Location: Holy Loch in Argyll and Bute
Teak wrote:
Gold on teak models are the outside fittings only. I will take some more pictures tomorrow. Just look at the escutchon. Clearly gold over the nickle. As with my 101 the remenance of gold is very faint in most areas, but very decernable in others, especially with a flashlight.


Yes, you are quite right, as anyone who has ever seen one of these models would know. My 112 is pristine and the external fittings only are gilded whilst the internal brightwork is plain nickel-plated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rare Teak HMV 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm
Posts: 1488
Location: Holy Loch in Argyll and Bute
Phono48 wrote:
Teak wrote:
The outside is highly polished, the fittings have been gilt.


While I agree with all your points, and am convinced that this is all original, I can't agree that the fittings were gilt. There is no evidence of gilding anywhere, and what you assume to be gilding on the corner pieces is in fact the brass showing through the very thin nickel plating. Look at the needle bins. Where fingers have pressed the same spot for years, the nickel has worn off, leaving the brass underneath showing. Had the bins been gilded, then those worn patches would be the bare metal underneath, with the gilt having worn off.



No,sorry, but you are very mistaken here. Please see my comment above. I have a pristine un-restored 112 and ALL external fitments are gilded, including parts which are steel base metal, not brass eg. the carrying handle clasps and lid catch / lock. The internal metalwork is plain nickel whilst the external was gilded (more likely brass-plated, highly polished and lacquered). With age this finish goes a quite rich gold colour. It might be gold-plating but if it is it's closer in colour and appearance to the finishes on HMV Lumiere and some late cabinet models like the 460/461, 510/511.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rare Teak HMV 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:46 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 542
Location: United Kingdom
Ah, I see, and am happy to be corrected. The original comment from the OP was "The fittings were gilt", which I mistakenly thought referred to ALL the fittings, not just the outer ones. I did have a teak 101 some years ago which had nickel corners, but considering the general condition of the machine, could well have been replacements.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rare Teak HMV 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm
Posts: 1488
Location: Holy Loch in Argyll and Bute
Phono48 wrote:
Ah, I see, and am happy to be corrected. The original comment from the OP was "The fittings were gilt", which I mistakenly thought referred to ALL the fittings, not just the outer ones. I did have a teak 101 some years ago which had nickel corners, but considering the general condition of the machine, could well have been replacements.


Well, quite possibly, but I'm betting not because for some odd reason the teak 101's tend to match their UK counterparts quite closely (apart from retaining the earliest front wind configuration throughout the production run, I believe?) so they have all nickel fittings. It might appear that the 112 was the only machine offered with "gilt" external case fitments. A strange decision if true!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: rare Teak HMV 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:51 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 542
Location: United Kingdom
Steve wrote:
BTW, I have a pristine example of a 100 which was kept in one family from new and the turntable has the rounded raise lip on it, not the plain square edge. I think your turntable is absolutely correct!


The rounded edge version is, as you say, correct, but this particular turntable is wrong because as the OP pointed out earlier, it has the attachment for an automatic brake.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.