rare Teak HMV 100

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Teak
Victor II

rare Teak HMV 100

Post by Teak »

The other machine I got, is again, a teak cased HMV 100 with the 2 spring 32 Motor in the bigger case (like the 112, 114). The normal HMV 100 was only produced for a year with about 7500 sold units, some of which in teak. I have never seen nor heard of this machine. As far as I can see and "feel", the machine looks to be authentic.

Sadly the turntable itself is of a later model, which I intend to replace if I find a fitting one, as well as the subpar/rusted fittings. Interestingly the carrying handle is located on the left side of the gramophone, but was removed on this model. At least something to keep me busy :roll:
Attachments
DSCN3516.jpg
DSCN3515.jpg
DSCN3519.jpg
DSCN3529.jpg
DSCN3523.jpg
DSCN3528.jpg
DSCN3524.jpg
DSCN3533.jpg
DSCN3531.jpg
Last edited by Teak on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: rare Teak HMV 100

Post by Phono48 »

Teak wrote:Interestingly the carrying handle is located on the left side of the gramophone, but was removed on this model.
Fabulous machine! Like you, I've never seen one before. The carrying handle was originally on the right-hand side, (the attachment marks can clearly be seen) but had been moved to the left before being removed altogether)

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

The handle was originally on the left side. The holes are right for the normal hmv 100 handle, just filled in with wooden plugs.
The last owner put a completely wrong handle on the right side, and secured it, with only 2 tiny modern screws. This is what you see on the right side. I removed those, till i find the right handle, to keep it as original as possible.

It is funny, that this gramophone is unheard of. There is not even a name or mention googleable.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Except for the record holder, this machine is almost identical to the Victrola 50. Very nice machine and congrats on your purchase.
Harvey Kravitz

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

The VV-50 has a much more elaborate horn. This gramophone is much more like the VV-35 in horn design.

This machine may be the rarest portable ever produced by HMV.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Teak wrote:The VV-50 has a much more elaborate horn. This gramophone is much more like the VV-35 in horn design.

This machine may be the rarest portable ever produced by HMV.
Indeed I was going to ask if the gramophone had a true folded horn, or if it had a reflex horn. It wasn't 100% clear by the pictures, but it looked as if it had a reflex horn.

Congrats on your purchase, a nice portable indeed!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This is indeed a rarity, not mentioned in the Tropical Models section of Dave Cooper's book on HMV portables. How and where did you find it?

I expect that it had a model number of it's own rather than 100, so it may be worth checking whether it appears in any Indian HMV catalogues such as those held in the EMI archives.

I am not sure why you think the turntable is incorrect. All the Model 100's I have seen have the brown felt covering.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

I bought it from an Indian seller on ebay. First I tried to get a 102 teak, which I already payed for, but under close scrutiny was not genuine. I tried to get my money back, but after couple of weeks with excuses from the seller I spotted this gramophone he was offering and jumped on it.

It was equipped with a wrong 5b soundbox and was in very sorry state. I still recognized it for what it was, and after getting it and working on it for an extended period of time, I am certain, that it is real and a real nice find.

The fitting turntable would be one, without the outside "rounded lip". This is, first of all, because it has a piece of autobreak on it, which is certainly not original, and the winding handle does not fit properly to store, because the existing turntable is a little bit wider in diameter than the early one, without the "lip".

It is possible, that it has its own numbering. 110 would be logical, but the hmv 110 already exists as a tabletop. I may never know...

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

PM sent. Hope it helps.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Teak wrote:The handle was originally on the left side. The holes are right for the normal hmv 100 handle, just filled in with wooden plugs.
The last owner put a completely wrong handle on the right side, and secured it, with only 2 tiny modern screws. This is what you see on the right side. I removed those, till i find the right handle, to keep it as original as possible.

Right, I see what you mean, but it seems odd to put the carrying handle on the left hand side, as when the machine is placed on the right side, all the weight will be on the winding escutcheon screws, unless the corner pieces have protruding screws?

Although I agree that you have the wrong turntable, the diameter of the 100 and 101 versions are identical, (I just checked) it's only the edges that are different, so it would appear that your problem with the winding handle not fitting it's clips is because you probably have wrong handle.