rare Teak HMV 100

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Teak
Victor II

Re: rare Teak HMV 100

Post by Teak »

today, I fiddled some more. The frenchpolish came off quite easily, revealing a high gloss original lacquer finish on the hole case, the motorboard, and the record tray..
DSCN3620.JPG
DSCN3621.JPG
DSCN3622.JPG
DSCN3635.JPG
DSCN3639.JPG
I cleaned the inside some more, without being to aggressive. The high polish finish just reaches the motorboard. The inside is unfinished.
DSCN3623.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1c6.jpeg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Awesome. Beautiful to the eye, but not overdone.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

That appears to be the innards of a '100' dropped into a 112 cabinet (made for no. 32 motor and deeper horn system). The question is: why? That would be a completely retrogressive modification! You can see where the 112 horn would be supported by those tiny wooden bearers below the bottom of the 100 reflector. Is the reflector deeper than the standard type?

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

It is clearly not a 100 put in a 112 case..

The motorboard for the 32 motor is completely different. Also, the motorboard and the case are "numbersmatching", and there is no needle box cutout.. Also, the 32 motor needs the space in depth. The pictures I posted show clearly, I would hope, why it is legit.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Teak wrote:It is clearly not a 100 put in a 112 case..

The motorboard for the 32 motor is completely different. Also, the motorboard and the case are "numbersmatching", and there is no needle box cutout.. Also, the 32 motor needs the space in depth. The pictures I posted show clearly, I would hope, why it is legit.
No, I wasn't suggesting someone has literally done that but that the hardware of a 100 has been put into a 112 case (and therefore required a motor-board to match). I fully appreciate that the motor-board wasn't pre-drilled for a smaller motor. There wouldn't be a needle box cutout as the lid has the earlier needle bins attached. In a similar way to the teak 101's having the same configuration as the UK first type, I suspect some 112's maintained a similar setup.

It still begs the question: why?

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

I think this is the predecessor to the 112. They wanted to make a 100 with the bigger motor. Everything else is just to accommodate the 32 motor.
No way it was only for the lokal market. The outside is highly polished, the fittings have been gilt.
I think it is rare, because the mod. 100 was rare, thats all.

I have the machine in front of me. Everything was made for each other. The finish on the case and lid and motorboard is exactly the same, microscopic crackpaterns in the original lacquer and all.
Also, I have yet to see a "old style 101" 112 in teak that you are assuming. Also, the needle bin, would have been mounted left (because of the tonearm), not right, in a 101 style case.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

It was only for the "local" market though. As was the teak 100, 101, 112, 114 and 118 at least. Maybe you have a "110"? So is the reflector deeper than the norm? That would suggest it was an early attempt to improve the 100.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

Shure, for the lokal market, as all other teaks, not as "lokal" as soundgen was supposing. I do not think, the reflector is different, does not look like it, but also, I have no reference at hand. I think it was all about the motor (see pictures with measuring tape on page 2)

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

So all we need to find now is a teak 105 and a teak version of the first HMV portable! I've never seen a deep cabinet version of the 100 before. I think you have a "Hen's Teeth" item there and despite the damage / repairs and cost, it is worth every cent you paid plus a bit! In typical Ebay fashion, we should expect two further specimens to turn up within the next 3 weeks! If one does, I will be forced to buy it to sit alongside my 112 and 114.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

BTW, I have a pristine example of a 100 which was kept in one family from new and the turntable has the rounded raise lip on it, not the plain square edge. I think your turntable is absolutely correct!