rare Teak HMV 100

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: rare Teak HMV 100

Post by Phono48 »

Teak wrote:The outside is highly polished, the fittings have been gilt.
While I agree with all your points, and am convinced that this is all original, I can't agree that the fittings were gilt. There is no evidence of gilding anywhere, and what you assume to be gilding on the corner pieces is in fact the brass showing through the very thin nickel plating. Look at the needle bins. Where fingers have pressed the same spot for years, the nickel has worn off, leaving the brass underneath showing. Had the bins been gilded, then those worn patches would be the bare metal underneath, with the gilt having worn off.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

Gold on teak models are the outside fittings only. I will take some more pictures tomorrow. Just look at the escutchon. Clearly gold over the nickle. As with my 101 the remenance of gold is very faint in most areas, but very decernable in others, especially with a flashlight.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Teak wrote:Gold on teak models are the outside fittings only. I will take some more pictures tomorrow. Just look at the escutchon. Clearly gold over the nickle. As with my 101 the remenance of gold is very faint in most areas, but very decernable in others, especially with a flashlight.
Yes, you are quite right, as anyone who has ever seen one of these models would know. My 112 is pristine and the external fittings only are gilded whilst the internal brightwork is plain nickel-plated.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote:
Teak wrote:The outside is highly polished, the fittings have been gilt.
While I agree with all your points, and am convinced that this is all original, I can't agree that the fittings were gilt. There is no evidence of gilding anywhere, and what you assume to be gilding on the corner pieces is in fact the brass showing through the very thin nickel plating. Look at the needle bins. Where fingers have pressed the same spot for years, the nickel has worn off, leaving the brass underneath showing. Had the bins been gilded, then those worn patches would be the bare metal underneath, with the gilt having worn off.

No,sorry, but you are very mistaken here. Please see my comment above. I have a pristine un-restored 112 and ALL external fitments are gilded, including parts which are steel base metal, not brass eg. the carrying handle clasps and lid catch / lock. The internal metalwork is plain nickel whilst the external was gilded (more likely brass-plated, highly polished and lacquered). With age this finish goes a quite rich gold colour. It might be gold-plating but if it is it's closer in colour and appearance to the finishes on HMV Lumiere and some late cabinet models like the 460/461, 510/511.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Ah, I see, and am happy to be corrected. The original comment from the OP was "The fittings were gilt", which I mistakenly thought referred to ALL the fittings, not just the outer ones. I did have a teak 101 some years ago which had nickel corners, but considering the general condition of the machine, could well have been replacements.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote:Ah, I see, and am happy to be corrected. The original comment from the OP was "The fittings were gilt", which I mistakenly thought referred to ALL the fittings, not just the outer ones. I did have a teak 101 some years ago which had nickel corners, but considering the general condition of the machine, could well have been replacements.
Well, quite possibly, but I'm betting not because for some odd reason the teak 101's tend to match their UK counterparts quite closely (apart from retaining the earliest front wind configuration throughout the production run, I believe?) so they have all nickel fittings. It might appear that the 112 was the only machine offered with "gilt" external case fitments. A strange decision if true!

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Steve wrote:BTW, I have a pristine example of a 100 which was kept in one family from new and the turntable has the rounded raise lip on it, not the plain square edge. I think your turntable is absolutely correct!
The rounded edge version is, as you say, correct, but this particular turntable is wrong because as the OP pointed out earlier, it has the attachment for an automatic brake.