Can someone tell me more about this logo

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Layla
Victor Jr

Can someone tell me more about this logo

Post by Layla »

I got my second gramophone. There is a logo on the motor and a signature on the sides. Does someone recognize it?

I must admit my first gramophone I like better :)
Attachments
DSC03962.JPG
DSC03974.JPG
DSC03973.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Can someone tell me more about this logo

Post by JerryVan »

By "signature" do you mean the concentric circles & parallel lines? That's just a stylistic design element and not any particular logo or such.

I believe the logo on the motor is indicative "Parlophone". Someone, please correct me if I'm mistaken there.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

JerryVan wrote:By "signature" do you mean the concentric circles & parallel lines? That's just a stylistic design element and not any particular logo or such.

I believe the logo on the motor is indicative "Parlophone". Someone, please correct me if I'm mistaken there.
It is indeed a Parlophone motor.

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

Thank you both for answering!

The motor is very nasty and noisy, I think because of the oil all over the place.

Can someone correct me or give me tips for maintenance?

I understand I can clean motor parts and spring with with white spirit, ipa isopropanol and diesel. Which one do you recommend? Do you have a better experience with another cleaning chemical?

Which grease should I use for the spring? An antique dealer advised me to use graphite grease. Is it correct?

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

I also find information to clean with 'paraffin oil', is it another name for petroleum?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Layla wrote:Thank you both for answering!

The motor is very nasty and noisy, I think because of the oil all over the place.

Can someone correct me or give me tips for maintenance?

I understand I can clean motor parts and spring with with white spirit, ipa isopropanol and diesel. Which one do you recommend? Do you have a better experience with another cleaning chemical?

Which grease should I use for the spring? An antique dealer advised me to use graphite grease. Is it correct?
These motors are often noisy , they haven't worn well

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

I assembled the motor parts and soak it for next 24h in white spirit.

I am missing the breake felt which slowdowns the governor/regulator, is that made of leather?

The noise is caused by a damaged governor/regulator gear that was wearing out.

Governor/regulator wormgear teeth are a bit damaged (motor part with 3 weights), I will try to bend it the correct direction. Any tips how to do this?

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

The brake pad usually is made of leather but sometimes I've seen felt pads.

Regarding the wormgear, post some pictures to see the extent of the damage. Its very important to have a clean and stright wormgear or it will destroy the fibre gear.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Layla wrote:I assembled the motor parts and soak it for next 24h in white spirit.

I am missing the breake felt which slowdowns the governor/regulator, is that made of leather?

The noise is caused by a damaged governor/regulator gear that was wearing out.

Governor/regulator wormgear teeth are a bit damaged (motor part with 3 weights), I will try to bend it the correct direction. Any tips how to do this?

PLEASE, don't bend anything. Post photos here first.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

walser wrote:The brake pad usually is made of leather but sometimes I've seen felt pads.

Regarding the wormgear, post some pictures to see the extent of the damage. Its very important to have a clean and stright wormgear or it will destroy the fibre gear.
? governor pads are usually felt are they not ? or are we talking about something else ? does this motor have a worm gear ? I doubt it , perhaps you could post pictures ? it probably has a vertical governor and the problem is the gear at the bottom of the governor , Judicial use of thin washers can present a new part of the gear to the intermediate gear making it work properly