What is This Machine? Also need a reproducer.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

What is This Machine? Also need a reproducer.

Post by studebakerphonos »

Think this is a hodge-podge, but looking to get a reproducer for it or this one fixed.

Any info. appreciated.

Thanks, Bob
Attachments
IMG_9397.JPG
IMG_9396.JPG
IMG_9396.JPG (125.06 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
IMG_9395.JPG
IMG_9395.JPG (114.5 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
IMG_9394.JPG
IMG_9394.JPG (75.88 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
IMG_9393.JPG
IMG_9393.JPG (105.3 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
IMG_9392.JPG
IMG_9392.JPG (118.34 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
IMG_9391.JPG
IMG_9391.JPG (116.73 KiB) Viewed 2909 times

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: What is This Machine? Also need a reproducer.

Post by PeterF »

It's an HMV 33, and somebody has put a Columbia Viva-Tonal tonearm and reproducer on it. There were a few variants of this format (with different model numbers of course), the last of which had an orthophonic tonearm and reproducer on it - yup, an outside-horn orthophonic machine, from the factory.

It should readily accept your typical pre-ortho Victor/HMV tonearm and Victrola #2 reproducer, but if the existing one sounds ok, why not keep it on there for a while. The motor looks correct.

I think these were late-era units intended mainly for export, and to use up old parts. Mine came back from India, and has a dealer tag from Calcutta IIRC.

Nice find, nice project.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Well, this is an actual HMV No. 33:

I'm not sure what that is. If memory serves the "Dog and Baby" sound box is a Japanese Columbia knockoff.

A Frankenphone I think... ,maybe a colonial model?

EDIT: I see Peter beat me to it.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

Post by studebakerphonos »

Thanks for all of the replies.

The reproducer is missing a lot. What should I replace it with and where can I get it?

I do have a HMV #2 would that be appropriate with the current tone arm?

This is not for me but someone looking for advise form me, so I want to be right.

Thanks, Bob

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I'd say replacing the tonearm with a Victor or HMV one will be super easy - and that allows you to make it authentic again since you already have the proper (HMV #2) reproducer for it.

See the link I added earlier for pix of an authentic machine to see what sort of tonearm to find (although I'm not sure the horn on that one is correct).

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

dup post sorry
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

I could be wrong, but in eyeballing the pic it seems that a reproducer on that arm might put the needle point a bit long of the spindle. You could test fit the "Dog and Baby" to see. If it passes muster I'd think a Columbia Viva Tonal will work fine on that arm as it looks like a Columbia Plano Flex.

Try eBay UK for a correct arm.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

It looks like the motor was swapped. It should use a late Victrola 2 spring motor. These motors are common. The motor shown in your pictures looks like it is used for a Victor III or a IV. Also, used for the early table top VV XI or the first floor model. The motor alone is worth it's weight in gold. The brake should be a tab break, like you see on a Victrola. The hard part would be to find the right bracket, arm, and an HMV reproducer. This will be a neat machine once you get it restored.
Harvey Kravitz

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

PeterF wrote:I'd say replacing the tonearm with a Victor or HMV one will be super easy - and that allows you to make it authentic again since you already have the proper (HMV #2) reproducer for it.

See the link I added earlier for pix of an authentic machine to see what sort of tonearm to find (although I'm not sure the horn on that one is correct).
I don't think finding a replacement tonearm will be easy: this machine utilises a very short arm, that was only used on the HMV nursery model besides this 33 and the model 29. All three are quite scarce machines. I have both the 33 and the 29. You can fit a portable HMV101 tonearm on the 33, but it is too long and the needle will extend far beyond its ideal location over the spindle, which is not good for the reproduction not for the records. I don't know if Victor ever manufactured such short arm, but usually Victor and HMV hardware are not easily exchangeable, they look similar but when you try to fit them you notice that the dimensions are not the same (from personal experience ...).