Can someone tell me more about this logo

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
walser
Victor II

Re: Can someone tell me more about this logo

Post by walser »

Hi Layla,

It looks that you are going to fix it by yourself. Congratulations! I'm sure that you will have an enormous amount of fun doing it. I strongly suggest you to buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Compleat-Talking ... 1886606226

Regarding the weights of the governor, some times they are riveted and other are attached with a screw. If they are riveted, you can tighten it again with a precise hit of a hammer in the rivet.

Regards,

Pedro Martínez

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

Thank you all.

Indeed, the weights are attached with screws, I tighten them up.

I figured out that knocking-sound is caused by one of the spindle gear. Today I visted the clock maker, he told me it is a big risk to bend the teeth, so he told me they must be removed and he will solder a new part and cut new teeth, the costs are 100+ euro's. That's too expensive for me.

Cut out new teeth sounds a good solution for worn out or already broken teeth.

I don't know much about forging metal, but I think if you heat up the metal then it should be easier to bend without breaking any teeth. Is that correct?

I really want to use this gramophone, if this solution fails I will try 3D printed gears. Can anyone recommend me a 3D printing company?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Layla wrote:Thank you all.

Indeed, the weights are attached with screws, I tighten them up.

I figured out that knocking-sound is caused by one of the spindle gear. Today I visted the clock maker, he told me it is a big risk to bend the teeth, so he told me they must be removed and he will solder a new part and cut new teeth, the costs are 100+ euro's. That's too expensive for me.

Cut out new teeth sounds a good solution for worn out or already broken teeth.

I don't know much about forging metal, but I think if you heat up the metal then it should be easier to bend without breaking any teeth. Is that correct?

I really want to use this gramophone, if this solution fails I will try 3D printed gears. Can anyone recommend me a 3D printing company?
This motor is relatively easy to find, especially in the German ebay, so if you are patient with some luck you may find one in some months and end up with a better deal by replacing the whole motor. Making a new gear will probably cost you more than a whole replacement motor.

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

CarlosV wrote: This motor is relatively easy to find, especially in the German ebay, so if you are patient with some luck you may find one in some months and end up with a better deal by replacing the whole motor. Making a new gear will probably cost you more than a whole replacement motor.
That's great news. Can you tell me which keywords I must use for searching? just "Grammophon motor" ?

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Layla wrote:Thank you all.

Heating this pinion will affect its strength because it must be tempered to a certain degree. in the other hand, it's a so tiny piece that it will be very difficult to heat it without melting it and be able to bend those minuscule teeth.

I've tried 3D gears and they are still not up to the task in this sizes. You will need a metal sintered 3d gear and that might end as expensive as the cock maker invoice.

Ebay is a cave of surprises. As Carlos says, you might find a complete replacement in ebay Germany or another possibility is take the measurements of your pinion and try to find it on ebay.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Layla wrote:
That's great news. Can you tell me which keywords I must use for searching? just "Grammophon motor" ?
Yes, grammophon motor will work. Try also on the UK ebay, German gramophones and parts are relatively common there.

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

I have found exactly the same Lindstrom clockwork motor in The Netherlands. It has a broken governor spring and is missing a weight. However it's very rusty I will buy it and hope the gears are fine.

Can someone help me? I have attached two pictures. The first one is the motor that seller have sent to us. Second is my cleaned up motor.

The governor of the motor which I want to buy don't look the same as mine. Should I make my own weight springs for it (I think they are too long)? If so, which material should I use? I am thinking about cutting a tape measure or a hacksaw blade.
Attachments
the broken one which I gonna buy
the broken one which I gonna buy
post 29-11 005.JPG (53.46 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
mine
mine

Layla
Victor Jr

Post by Layla »

I found fühlerlehrenband (feeler gauge tape), which thickness do you advise to use as spring replacement?

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Drilling holes in harmonic steel is a tough task. Wait and see if the "old" governor assembly will fit on the shaft of the "new" governor. If not, try to devise which length the springs should have (the one seen in picture is deformed) and buy three spare springs that fit.

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

If you unscrew the screw that you can see on the red circle you can extract all the assembly of springs and brake plate from your motor and put it on the one you just buyed. Its the screw that is NOT holding any weight spring.
nasty motor.JPG
nasty motor.JPG (72.42 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Hope this helps!

Regards,

Pedro Martínez