French Monarque

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: French Monarque

Post by Jerry B. »

is there a bracket, holding the front mount brace? Would that leave an imprint inside the case?
Yes, I think a washer and nut would leave a slight impression. Jerry

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

The only imprint visible is located at the middle hole. Interesting!
Attachments
E51A8F3C-0D13-4E2F-AAB2-9ED450998C74.jpeg

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

JerryVan wrote:
jboger wrote:That being the case, I doubt it started life as a rear-mount machine that someone then converted to a front-mount.

Neither Jerry nor I have suggested that.
No, I never thought you or Jerry suggested that either. When I posted my comment, Teak hadn't removed the back bracket to reveal the four little holes. But he did mention the wear in the front bracket holes. So, being analytical, there are two possible permutations to explain that wear: (1) the machine started out as a front mount then was converted to a rear-mount machine--its present state--or (2) the machine started out as a rear mount that was then converted to a front mount--and then back again into its present state. The second permutation is highly unlikely. That was my point, not that I thought you suggested otherwise. However, the strongest evidence that the machine left the factory as a front-mount machine are those four little holes. I hadn't known that at the time I made my post.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

I have seen both types
1.) those that started out as front mount and later converted (as in the photo that Maestro2009 shows where you can see where the original decal was.)
2.) factory delivered with the new type horn support with the front mount holes covered by a cast piece of metal

Probably looking inside the case / under the horn support are the best ways to resolve the issue. The German monarch front mounts often had the GRAMMOPHON logo at the front of the case next to the travelling arm (so the logo got trashed), wheras French and UK had the rectangular detail logo on the sides.

@ question for Maestro2009, the picture you use as your avatar with the back to front horn, is it from a general Gramophone Co catalog, or perhaps specific to A. Bourchard, Nevsky Prospekt 6 (also had a store in St Petersburg) ? Could you please post a full size picture? (maybe start a new topic) :geek: It might be something people have never seen before!

maestro2009
Victor O
Personal Text: Collector

Post by maestro2009 »

Sidewinder wrote:I have seen both types

@ question for Maestro2009, the picture you use as your avatar with the back to front horn, is it from a general Gramophone Co catalog, or perhaps specific to A. Bourchard, Nevsky Prospekt 6 (also had a store in St Petersburg) ? Could you please post a full size picture? (maybe start a new topic) :geek: It might be something people have never seen before!
I am definitely going to open new threads and tell everyone a lot of interesting, and yet just two pictures.Sorry topic starter
Last edited by maestro2009 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

So am I right regarding A. BOURCHARD?

maestro2009
Victor O
Personal Text: Collector

Post by maestro2009 »

yes) this is your logo on all horns,including concert horns
Attachments
монтаж.jpg
DSC00005 (2).JPG
113328_900.jpg
Last edited by maestro2009 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Thank you this is a huge help. Your concert machine is amazing.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Here's a picture of mine. I have been looking for years for a catalog reference, so thank you very much!
Attachments
borch-horn.jpg