A new look at "NIPPER"

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

A new look at "NIPPER"

Post by old country chemist »

Greetings all of you Gramophonologists! Recently sorting some gramophone related material, I discovered this postcard, and as far as I can make out the date on the stamp, is 1912.
I have never been an avid collector of this type of gram. related bits and pieces, but thought it might give a slightly light hearted chuckle to you all. I see most of you have been busy on the forum, and I seem to have missed some interesting topics. I expect most of you have a "Meltrope" sound box. What is the general opinion on them? I have one here, and as far as I can gather, the reproduction from it is comparable to a 4 spring Ginn sound box, either using medium steel, or Burmese thorns.
Keep up the good work all of you, and I hope the new members get as much enjoyment from the forum as I have had over the years. THANK YOU ALL. Alastair Murray.
Attachments
HIS MASTER'S V-ICE 001.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: A new look at "NIPPER"

Post by Phonofreak »

These come out a lot. This was a parody of His Mater's Voice. It shows a drunk Nipper listening to a booze bottle with a bent funnel. A similar one is His Masters Breath.
Harvey Kravitz

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I'm not getting the joke about "V-ICE". Can someone gently explain?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:I'm not getting the joke about "V-ICE". Can someone gently explain?
The thing that the dog is looking at is a funnel and a jug of some kind of alcoholic beverage, so the "vice"...