Please id this Garrard motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Please id this Garrard motor

Post by poodling around »

I haven't seen a garrard motor like this one before.

Does anyone know the model number or any other information about it I wonder ?
Attachments
gar1.jpg
gar2.jpg
gar3.jpg
gar4.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Please id this Garrard motor

Post by chunnybh »

It's a Garrard 3a with a curved plate to protect the large open gear in the Garrard 3.
I haven't seen the other side plate before. Can I pinch the pics for my site?

poodling around
Victor V

chunnybh wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:14 am It's a Garrard 3a with a curved plate to protect the large open gear in the Garrard 3.
I haven't seen the other side plate before. Can I pinch the pics for my site?
Very interesting. Thank you very much indeed chunnybh.

Yes, certainly, you are more than welcome to use any of these photographs on your excellent site.

If you would like better / different photographs taken then I can happily do that too .............. at a push I could even give it a clean ! :)

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

What's the gramophone it's in? Odd to have all that heavy protection surrounding the moving parts. Not like anyone would stick their fingers in there, surly it would be sealed under the motorboard.
These pics are fine , thanks.

poodling around
Victor V

chunnybh wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:55 am What's the gramophone it's in? Odd to have all that heavy protection surrounding the moving parts. Not like anyone would stick their fingers in there, surly it would be sealed under the motorboard.
These pics are fine , thanks.
Very interesting indeed.

A lot of people during the early 1920's had moustaches so I guess the 'guard' might have been very useful for the safety of motor maintenance workers to prevent them from becoming tangled up ?

I will get back to you about the gramophone soon as I had loads of motors out in the mid-day sun a short while ago and need to double check.

Thanks again chunnybh.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

A lot of people during the early 1920's had moustaches so I guess the 'guard' might have been very useful for the safety of motor maintenance workers to prevent them from becoming tangled up ?
:lol:

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The curved plate is not protecting the large gear, it's protecting the governor. Why? Well I suggest that, as Garrard motors were available for all and sundry to fit to their gramophones, Garrard thought it advisable to put this protective guard around the governor, in case some inexperienced gramophone assembler forgot to allow for the expansion of a governor when running at full speed, and left too little space for it, particularly in a portable with a close-fitting internal horn. The 4A, a double-spring version of the same motor has the same guard.

poodling around
Victor V

Oedipus wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:43 am The curved plate is not protecting the large gear, it's protecting the governor. Why? Well I suggest that, as Garrard motors were available for all and sundry to fit to their gramophones, Garrard thought it advisable to put this protective guard around the governor, in case some inexperienced gramophone assembler forgot to allow for the expansion of a governor when running at full speed, and left too little space for it, particularly in a portable with a close-fitting internal horn. The 4A, a double-spring version of the same motor has the same guard.
Quite possibly - although couldn't the accompanying fitting instructions have just high-lighted the spacing issue ? (If there were any).

On the other hand it would have been far simpler and effective to have the guard though I suppose. So you could well be correct.

poodling around
Victor V

I came across another garrard motor with this metal 'guard.

So, of the two motors I have, one is in a 'miniature' floor standing 'Perophone' and the other in an early 'reflector' type 'Selecta-phone' portable.

I thought that it was worth mentioning that there seems to be a common reason for this guard.

This is, that when operating normally, both of these 'run the risk' of the user touching the motor with their fingers.

So, I guess that this is the main reason for the guards.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Most interesting ... Thank you.

If you have the original crank for that motor, treasure and protect it. You will not easily find another.

My Garrard 3 has the top and bottom plates that curve out over the large drum gear to protect it, but there is no longer (or never was) an externally mounted plate to protect the governor mechanism.

I am certain from the condition of the lubricants in the machine (not great but not dried up either--no spring clunking) and the screw driver wear on screw heads that the motor was serviced in the distant past. If there ever was the external plate, it was not put back.
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-39-24.png