Decca ( trench ) Model

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
tar29
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Dave

Decca ( trench ) Model

Post by tar29 »

I recently acquired from my father ( Just turned 90 ) a Decca Trench type circa 1925, which seems to have had a few alterations done possibly ? My question is has there ever been a Decca of this model with a external side speed adjustment Knob ? It is looking more like it has had a change of motor necessitating in the speed control being ( Heath Robinson like ) Placed on the outer right hand side. Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards Dave

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Decca ( trench ) Model

Post by epigramophone »

Welcome to the Forum. Your enquiry really belongs in the British and European Machines section, and if you can post pictures they would help us to answer your questions.

As to dating your machine, most Decca portables have a paper label on the motor board beneath the turntable. If the label is still present it will show the model type and the date of manufacture.

tar29
Victor Jr

Post by tar29 »

Thanks for the reply, yes i am aware of the location of the label, but sadly no longer there. I will post on the relevant page with some pictures as well.

Thanks Dave

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I have seen many examples of the Decca trench style machine and none had an external speed control- it would seem your example has been kludged.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

kludged :lol: never heard that before ! Can't wait for the pictures of the kludge !

tar29
Victor Jr

Post by tar29 »

Kludged :-) Well never heard it put that way. I have removed the motor and board and done some work on the said case, so the only pictures will be of the motor and location for the speed control, which I think will be found to be the wrong one :-( .
So the next step is to source another motor with associated linkage and speed control dial to place it on the top board.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Kludged...
Attachments
k.JPG
k.JPG (23.65 KiB) Viewed 1626 times