IT'S CHRISTMAS!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

IT'S CHRISTMAS!

Post by old country chemist »

Hello all on The Forum. All the best for the Christmas period to the Gramophonologists and Phonographologists, and keep collecting and nurturing this wonderful hobby. I have not lost interest in it in over 55 years, and am still enjoying learning all the time about aspects of our wonderful hobby. All we nee now is to see some more young folk taking an interest in it all.
Attachments
FORUM CHRISTMAS GREETINGS 001.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Re: IT'S CHRISTMAS!

Post by soundgen »

Seasons greetings
Attachments
aaasat.jpg
aaasat.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 2768 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AS WELL "OLD COUNTRY CHEMIST"!!!!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Merry Christmas Alastair, and Happy Hanukkah to everyone. Wishing all a prosperous, and joyful New Year!

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

A Merry Christmas and Best Wishes to all! :)

George P.
Zono1.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

old country chemist wrote:All we nee now is to see some more young folk taking an interest in it all.
Gramophones have reached prices that even adult professionals in the middle of their careers struggle to afford. So: no, we won't see any noticeable increase in young chaps taking interest for these expensive machines, nor in the forthcoming year, nor in the foreseeable future.

However, thank you very much for your Christmas greetings! The sketch was amusing! :D I wish you (and all) in return a merry Christmas and a happy new year! :clover:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Perhaps when our children and grandchildren inherit our collections they might keep some items in our memory, rather than sell everything on eBay. Many of our members, including myself, own machines which have been handed down through their families. Fortunately my son and daughter in law are classically trained professional musicians with an interest in the hobby, but little time to pursue it whilst raising a young family. Even the grandchildren like "grandad's toys". When I am gone they will keep their favourites and ensure that the others find good homes.

Meanwhile may I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy PEACEFUL New Year.
Attachments
xmas gram.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:
old country chemist wrote:All we nee now is to see some more young folk taking an interest in it all.
Gramophones have reached prices that even adult professionals in the middle of their careers struggle to afford. So: no, we won't see any noticeable increase in young chaps taking interest for these expensive machines, nor in the forthcoming year, nor in the foreseeable future.

However, thank you very much for your Christmas greetings! The sketch was amusing! :D I wish you (and all) in return a merry Christmas and a happy new year! :clover:
Marco,

There are still cheap machines to be had for beginners. When I began I couldn't afford, (or did not yet want to afford the better stuff). Most collectors don't begin with Berliners & glass-sided Zonophones. Just read some of the postings on this forum of younger guys who bought an average Victrola, sometimes very run down, and are thrilled about restoring it. I love that! reminds me of when this was all new & exciting.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

JerryVan wrote:
Marco Gilardetti wrote:

Marco,

There are still cheap machines to be had for beginners. When I began I couldn't afford, (or did not yet want to afford the better stuff). Most collectors don't begin with Berliners & glass-sided Zonophones. Just read some of the postings on this forum of younger guys who bought an average Victrola, sometimes very run down, and are thrilled about restoring it. I love that! reminds me of when this was all new & exciting.
I agree. I've only been collecting machines for 8 years now and most of what I started with were common machines in need of service and some restoration. From today's perspective I grossly overpaid on most of them, because at least in the US the prices for most common and even some more advanced machines have dropped significantly. When I look at the prices of many beautiful machines that have been offered (and not even sold) in the Yankee Trader last year my biggest pain is that I didn't have the space for them. It may be different in Europe, but in Germany I also see reasonably prices machines on eBay.de quite frequently. With the kind of money young people shell out for cell phones, gaming consoles, etc I don't think that cost is the big deterrent for them into our hobby.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Andreas

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

This has been posted in the "British and Euroepan Machines section". And yes, the "market" is radically different, in scarcity and prices alike. ;)