The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Title !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm 
Victor II
I recently came across this dealer sticker - this man wasn't a gramophone seller or even owner of a musical instrument shop, oh no, he was a "Sound Wave Exponent". I love the title - does that make all of us sound wave exponents ?? :)

Attachments:
IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3480.JPG [ 863.27 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

Post subject: Re: Great Title !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 pm 
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Jake Graham was one of the oldest and longest established Edison agents in the UK.
I wrote a short article about him for the Spring 2017 edition of the CLPGS magazine.

Attachments:
jg.jpg
jg.jpg [ 980.73 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:47 pm 
Victor II
Thanks ! Great photo. I see he has "Sound wave Exponent" on the front of the shop as well..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 am 
Victor III
I'm looking at the Dingle address at the bottom of the ad. I don't understand the comma between 271 and Park Road. Is or was that the practice in the UK to place such a comma? In the US I don't recall ever seeing a comma in that position. Not really a phonograph question. Just curious.

Also the word "exponent" brought to my mind another word: proponent. I then asked myself a totally useless question over my coffee this morning, Why did Jake bill himself as an exponent and not a proponent? I looked up the definition of both words. Considerable overlap. So I searched the back roads of my mind for differences in the connotations of these two words. (This is a very subjective exercise.) It seems to me an exponent is a follower, a disciple of something, whereas a proponent is not only that but also an active promoter. The driver here is the prefix.

If I were Mr. Graham, I would have billed myself as a proponent: Sound Wave Proponent. That has a nice ring. Why didn't he call himself that? The world may never know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 am 
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Looking at advertisements in "The Gramophone" magazine from the 1920's, it appears that the placing of a comma after a street number was normal practice. This has fallen out of favour in recent years, along with the proper use of the apostrophe.

I have long suspected that the lazy practice known as texting is largely responsible for the death of English grammar. I have never sent a text in my life, and if I received one on my rarely used mobile phone I would not know what to do with it.