Phonograph project-Which model?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Billehifi
Victor Jr

Phonograph project-Which model?

Post by Billehifi »

Hey All
I'm currently restoring this phonograph. I bought it a few months ago in Ringe on Funnen (A Danish island.) It was rather worn and the restoration process has begun.
It "only" needs: to get its spring restored and get my hands on a new soundbox/reproducer. Which one would match? The base needs to get restored, it's in a bad condition with a lot of worm holes... But it's starting to look like something. The phonograph is most likely german and a very early one, but if anyone has an idea about the brand, I'd like to hear it. I've been looking for something like it for a long time, but haven't been able to find a model similar. It's incredibly simple the way it has been built.

I know that I principally have "removed" some of its originality, but there was so much rust that it had to be removed. Perhaps I'll coat the top plate with nickel again, but for now, this is how it looks. I'll give it a new life now, it used to stand in the moist basement of a farm, slowly dying...
I'm getting some help from a fellow collector back home, so I think it is in good hands :)
I will post some updates.

But for now, my questions is, how does I nickle plate the pieces? And where can I get a spring, that would fit?
I got the horn, but the Phonograph is missing a soundbox/Diafragme??
Attachments
F7996097-4A1B-4D3A-A4B9-63EECD963912.png
78795506-6629-444A-87DD-79F5DBCC5B25.png
fonograf.png

Billehifi
Victor Jr

Re: Phonograph project-Which model?

Post by Billehifi »

And some pictures after the rust was removed.
Attachments
7D5B3B39-B7BF-4B8A-AA57-FB53954949F6.png
DD9027A5-2BA9-42C6-8016-A2E36637F6A4.png
C84693BC-307F-4CB4-BC58-E79D31CF085D.png

Bob
Victor II

Post by Bob »

You can get the spring made by Ron Sitko. If you have the original give him the dimensions. If not, You have to give him the dimensions of the spring barrel. The width, the inside diameter and what type of connections. His # is 518-371-8549. He is in NY.

Bob

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Billehifi
Victor Jr

Post by Billehifi »

Bob wrote:You can get the spring made by Ron Sitko. If you have the original give him the dimensions. If not, You have to give him the dimensions of the spring barrel. The width, the inside diameter and what type of connections. His # is 518-371-8549. He is in NY.

Bob
Do you know someone in Europe?

Bob
Victor II

Post by Bob »

No, I do not.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

This machine looks as if it was designed to take a Columbia-type 'floating' reproducer (i.e. one which is made in one piece, without the separate hinged weight used by Edison). An EWC (Excelsior) reproducer might well fit; this was a German firm and their products seem to be compatible with machines made or inspired by Columbia. I am attaching images of an EWC recorder; the reproducer would presumably look very similar.

Oliver Mundy.
ewc_recorder_01.jpg
ewc_recorder_02.jpg
ewc_recorder_03.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Billehifi wrote:
Bob wrote:You can get the spring made by Ron Sitko. If you have the original give him the dimensions. If not, You have to give him the dimensions of the spring barrel. The width, the inside diameter and what type of connections. His # is 518-371-8549. He is in NY.

Bob
Do you know someone in Europe?
You could try to contact this company http://www.zwarteschijf.nl/. They are very helpful and responsive. Not sure if they have main springs, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Ken Priestley in the UK is also very helpful http://www.fonograf.com/
Another option is this person in Germany, but I do not have personal experience with him http://www.grammophon-bastler.de/ersatzteile/

Good luck!
Andreas