European Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jboger
Victor IV

Re: European Gramophones

Post by jboger »

This has been an interesting discussion for any number of reasons.

Andreas, your machines, as others have noted, are magnificent. And you found them in Sao Paolo. Are these not the machines of the wealthy, what the wealthy would decorate their houses with back in the early 20th C? If so, what did the person of average means in Brazil have in his/her house? I can not imagine them to be so elaborate.

I would agree that Continental machines are in general more elaborate than US machines. But this represents long-standing esthetic differences in furniture design--and phonographs are furniture, or were--that predate the talking machine by many, many years.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

jboger wrote:This has been an interesting discussion for any number of reasons.

Andreas, your machines, as others have noted, are magnificent. And you found them in Sao Paolo. Are these not the machines of the wealthy, what the wealthy would decorate their houses with back in the early 20th C? If so, what did the person of average means in Brazil have in his/her house? I can not imagine them to be so elaborate.

I would agree that Continental machines are in general more elaborate than US machines. But this represents long-standing esthetic differences in furniture design--and phonographs are furniture, or were--that predate the talking machine by many, many years.
Hi Jboger,

Thanks for the post, interesting your line of thinking. I found these machines here in Brazil but it is not something common to find, I would say it is very difficult, the common here are the Victor Talking Machine of all kinds, I believe it was very exported here. Edison Machines are virtually nonexistent here, only the Standard and Home phonographs that collectors like me end up importing these days.
Columbia and Pathé meet but in much smaller quantities.
As we have made gramophones here from 2 companies, these along with the Victor are the common ones, I would say Victor for the more affluent and Casa Edison and The Electrical for the middle class.
The American machines also fascinate me a lot and I preserve some copies with great satisfaction.
I have restored many machines made here in Brazil but I have not kept any, I admit that I like the American and European.
I fully agree with your assessment of the style of European machines, it is totally linked to the tradition of furniture style that extends to gramophones.
Write if it was not clear enough, I am available for any questioning.
Andreas

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Algumas fotos mais.
Attachments
70387826_2291922270934264_1826767814258589696_n.jpg
70310210_511961926246966_4646314677582692352_n.jpg
70651445_2291922224267602_7024255945584672768_n.jpg

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Andreas Gramophones wrote:Algumas fotos mais.
Hey Andreas. I have followed you're instagram for a long time and have always been amazed by you're collection. The ornate one is truly one of my favorites, and it's really unfortunate they they were made in such small quantities. My other favorite is you're zonophone concert, a good pictures of it would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Mormon S wrote:
Andreas Gramophones wrote:Algumas fotos mais.
Hey Andreas. I have followed you're instagram for a long time and have always been amazed by you're collection. The ornate one is truly one of my favorites, and it's really unfortunate they they were made in such small quantities. My other favorite is you're zonophone concert, a good pictures of it would be greatly appreciated.

Martin
Martin,

Thank you very much for honoring my posts. On instagram there is a video with the Zonophone concert in action, did you see it? In recent years the collection has become even more interesting, and has now culminated with the Berliner. Very good to meet you here.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

gramophone78 wrote:
chunnybh wrote:Here are a few more ads taken from a copy of the Odeon Gramophones 1908-9 Catalogue.
Well, here is the "Berlioz" model. I like how they mention "imit Ebenhotz" or "Imitation Ebony" in German.Does anyone know what "IT"
stands for on the Odeon reproducer..?.
101_1605.JPG
101_1608.JPG
101_1566.JPG
IMG-20171129-WA0044.jpg
The IT probably stands for International Talking-machine as the Odeon trade-mark was initially the property of The International Talking Machine Co. of Berlin. Dulcetto

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Dulcetto wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:
chunnybh wrote:Here are a few more ads taken from a copy of the Odeon Gramophones 1908-9 Catalogue.
Well, here is the "Berlioz" model. I like how they mention "imit Ebenhotz" or "Imitation Ebony" in German.Does anyone know what "IT"
stands for on the Odeon reproducer..?.
101_1605.JPG
101_1608.JPG
101_1566.JPG
IMG-20171129-WA0044.jpg
The IT probably stands for International Talking-machine as the Odeon trade-mark was initially the property of The International Talking Machine Co. of Berlin. Dulcetto
Thank you for sharing that info. Nice to discover was the "IT" means.