European Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: European Gramophones

Post by gramophone78 »

And here is a "Abt" model shown on the catalog (cover?) a good friend owns. It too has a 14" turntable and is a very large case and motor.
Odeon Disc Machine 002.JPG
Odeon Disc Machine 002.JPG (82.45 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Last edited by gramophone78 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

chunnybh wrote:Here is the whole catalogue. It was reprinted in "The Talking Machine Review" issue 46, June 1977.
From the magazine:
"ODEON
In the foregoing pages we illustrate some German Odeon talking machines produced by the
Carl Lindstrom Company , of circa 1908/ 9. They were all printed originaly on one piece of exceedingly thin tissue paper about two feet square. It was a). a tribute to the original German
printer that he was able to print on such thin material and b). and a tribute to
Roy the Photographer at our printers that he was able to photograph for us f r om so difficult
a subject .
Unfortunately , apart from the Odeon trade mark in each corner of the sheet there was
only what we have printed on our pages . Odeon was a major manufacturer in Germany at the
time , but little printed matter or actual models seem to have survived two world wars. E.B."
Thank so much for posting this information. I hope others can post the remaining models shown in such fine detail. The carving is truly represented in the drawing of the "Berlioz" model and I can only assume all the other fine models shown.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Thanks so much for the Casa Edison ads. I love the cylinder boxes especially the fonts used.
Great to see pictures of these gramophones. Magical.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

chunnybh wrote:Thanks so much for the Casa Edison ads. I love the cylinder boxes especially the fonts used.
Great to see pictures of these gramophones. Magical.
It was a pleasure to show, cultivate this and other accessories, in my view the details enriched the collection.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Andreas,

Those are beautiful machines and you have done an excellent job of restoration. I would much rather have any of those machines than American machines of the same era. It might seem strange to some, that original German machines are found in Brazil, but there was a significant German presence in South America beginning in the early 1900s... Just think that if they had been left in Germany, they would have had to survive two World Wars and might be in much worse condition than when you found these... :shock:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

Curt A wrote:Andreas,

Those are beautiful machines and you have done an excellent job of restoration. I would much rather have any of those machines than American machines of the same era. It might seem strange to some, that original German machines are found in Brazil, but there was a significant German presence in South America beginning in the early 1900s... Just think that if they had been left in Germany, they would have had to survive two World Wars and might be in much worse condition than when you found these... :shock:
Friend,
I have the same idea as you, currently I prefer to buy a more elaborate European machine to buy an American machine of the same time, of a varied one in the collection, besides not tired of looking at. Sometimes I'm on the top floor of the house and just look at one of these machines, they're really beautiful. Of course I still like American machines, I have some here that are incredible but after a few years, the satisfaction of looking is not the same. I especially like Victrolas, I have 3 here that give me great satisfaction. The giant Zon-o-phone public display is a case in point, never tired of looking too, in addition to very rare. I realize that some German machines came to Brazil, that's a fact, a test are the ones I bought and others I've seen here, I hope to find more. Collecting phonographs of great satisfaction, this forum and some communities in social networks help in this entisiasmo because the communication of those who like the same theme is facilitated, as we are doing now. Greetings, thanks for the post.

maestro2009
Victor O
Personal Text: Collector

Post by maestro2009 »

Friends! Indeed, American ascetic machines were not very much in line with the mentality of Russian merchants.Namely, they bought most of the European talking machines.Russia did not produce its own gramophones( with rare exceptions).But the boxes produced large factories.Many models have been unnecessarily embellished overlays decors.Inlaid with valuable breeds of a tree Here is an example of one of the most clever . Brand Syrena, manufactured in 1910, and subsequently cloned repeatedly . Topic was discussed here, but the conclusions are not quite correct http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 14&t=20612
Attachments
rDV8-7mXjSI.jpg
0_108a72_619c31da_orig.jpg
$_57.JPG

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

maestro2009 wrote: Here is an example of one of the most clever . Brand Syrena, manufactured in 1910, and subsequently cloned repeatedly.

Thank you, you raise a very interesting point - some of the Indian copies seem to have been inspired by this style!

Do you by chance have the Syrena catalog for 1910? Do they mention also a similar model but with wood embellishments instead of all the gold colored metalwork?

maestro2009
Victor O
Personal Text: Collector

Post by maestro2009 »

Sidewinder wrote:
maestro2009 wrote: Here is an example of one of the most clever . Brand Syrena, manufactured in 1910, and subsequently cloned repeatedly.

some of the Indian copies seem to have been inspired by this style!
I believe your comparison with the Indian new model is inappropriate.
Cloned, and easier forged the best model in the most Russia until 1917.And there are many examples of this.In the advertisements, these machines were called differently. It was possible to buy separately the case in Russia , and motors and tone-arms in Germany and Switzerland.These gramophones( grey pre-revolutionary Assembly) is sold very much now.And they are much more popular here than Victors and Monarchs
Attachments
grammofon3.jpg
22.jpg
ALEX1.jpg
ALEX1.jpg (145.4 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

What I meant regarding the Indian attempts were that there is 1 style that seems to have been "inspired" by the Syrena form. It has the square top / Bottom. a rounded center and a lot of columns. Obviously not to be confused with an original
Attachments
crapox.JPG
crapox.JPG (24.48 KiB) Viewed 2135 times