HMV 101 - motor greasing advice please

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

HMV 101 - motor greasing advice please

Post by poodling around »

Hello everyone.

My HMV 101 was 'grinding' and 'bumping' while winding it up.

I opened it up and added oil to the area I have highlighted in the photograph below

I did this because I don't have any grease at the moment and I thought it might temporarily improve the problem and therefore indicate where the problem is.

As luck would have it, this has completely solved the problem and winding is now very easy and smooth. So no spring problem.

I was a bit puzzled by the area I put the oil into. I poured it into a small opening in the metal but noticed that there was also a screw there with a short piece of wire going from it to some-where else. My question is when I get some grease do I try to force it through the small opening or do I remove the screw and if so why.

I should have taken a photo of the area for more clarification but I hope that this makes some sense so far.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give.
Attachments
DSC08899.jpg
DSC08899.jpg (215.82 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV 101 - motor greasing advice please

Post by Phono48 »

That winding socket you have circled contains a coiled spring, the end of which is held by the screw you noticed. Do not remove! When the winding handle is inserted and turned, the spring coils open up, allowing the handle to turn, but as soon as you stop winding, the handle is prevented from turning backwards by the tightening up of the spring coils. I have never understood why HMV recommended greasing this area, as all it does is make a greasy mess of the winding handle, which then transfers said mess to your motor board! Squirting a bit of oil around may well have "cured" the problem you had, but it will only be a temporary fix, the only way to get the motor running as it should is to dismantle it and clean it properly before applying fresh grease and oil as appropriate. Incidentally, where are you based, GB or US?

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Re: HMV 101 - motor greasing advice please

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote:That winding socket you have circled contains a coiled spring, the end of which is held by the screw you noticed. Do not remove! When the winding handle is inserted and turned, the spring coils open up, allowing the handle to turn, but as soon as you stop winding, the handle is prevented from turning backwards by the tightening up of the spring coils. I have never understood why HMV recommended greasing this area, as all it does is make a greasy mess of the winding handle, which then transfers said mess to your motor board! Squirting a bit of oil around may well have "cured" the problem you had, but it will only be a temporary fix, the only way to get the motor running as it should is to dismantle it and clean it properly before applying fresh grease and oil as appropriate. Incidentally, where are you based, GB or US?

Barry

Hi there, Thank you very much for your clear and comprehensive advice. I am indeed very grateful.