edison bell square case. s/n 9453 FINALLY RESTORED

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
tomb
Victor IV

edison bell square case. s/n 9453 FINALLY RESTORED

Post by tomb »

I brought a Edison bell top plate standard no holes s/n 944.. and want to restore it.. It looks like it goes in a four clip case . Any pictures I can get or sources of info for it will be appreciated I have a EB winged C reproducer to use. Just what does the case look like and where can I get
the decal for the front ??? Thanks Tom
I put in the wrong serial number on this post the corrected number is 9453. I finished the Edison Bell finally . The gear cover has holes drilled to use a newer gear cover or a older straight cover. I have added the Edison Bell to my stash. I used a Edison Bell winged reproducer that was rebuilt by Steve. Not tooo many of these around. Here are the pics...
Attachments
IMG_2055.JPG
IMG_2056.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2057.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
Last edited by tomb on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

martinola
Victor III

Re: Information or restoring a edison bell square case. s/n

Post by martinola »

Hi Tom.

If this was an exported Edison Standard (distributed by Edison-Bell), then this would likely have been in a very early 2 clip case (lid with routered edge around the top and beaded bottom lip, bottom case with plain top edge with baseboard attached by either 2 or 4 screws).

However, I am just guessing. Edison Bell issued their own machines starting in 1903 and I have no idea what their numbering system was like. A photo or two of what you have would provide a lot of information. I, for one, would like to see more and document this machine in "as-found" condition.

In any case, it sounds like an interesting project.

Regards,
Martin

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

When I get the plate in I will post some pictures. The plate looks like it needs work. Seller stated it came out of a lousy 4 clip case. I have two clip and four clip machines I can use. If someone has some information or pictures on the Edison Bell I could see what it needs.. Tom

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the serial number correction. Yes, I have seen that one on ebay. It is indeed an Edison Standard, exported to the UK for distribution by Edison-Bell. Even though it came in a 4 clip case, it's more likely to have originally come in a 2 clip case as I have described above. Obviously, it will need an early motor - the later Standard Model A motors may have clearance issues in the smaller cases.

No decals or transfers were used on these cases. They're cool machines. I find the history of the Edison phonograph in England particularly interesting. (Not that I know very much about it, but what I do learn, I find it interesting.) Certainly, I will be looking forward to seeing your updates on your project.

Regards,
Martin

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Does any body have some pictures or a web site to go to.????? I checked the British society but they do not have a standard listed . Thanks Tom

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

Mine is a little bit earlier
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_200.jpeg
DSCN3811.JPG
DSCN3809.JPG
Last edited by Teak on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi Tom.
You should find examples of appropriate Squaretop Standard examples on this site. Here is an example of the case that yours probably had originally:
wide_with_lid.jpg
wide_with_lid.jpg (339.05 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Lid top profile:
lid_top_profile.jpg
lid_top_profile.jpg (305.02 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Here's a shot of what the motor should be like. Most likely yours did not have the brass weights on the governor as seen here:
motor_belt_side.jpg
motor_belt_side.jpg (289.17 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Early motor on left with post 1901 motor on right:
motors_early_late.jpg
motors_early_late.jpg (440.79 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Martin

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks for the information. They almost look identical with the exception of the ID plate to a regular standard. That makes sense since they were coming out of the Orange plant along with the regular standards. I wonder why they did not decal them but the US standards were not too. I will start looking for a case. I have one very similar to yours though. They pop up once in a while. Tom

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I guess I can temporarily use a spare 4 latch case and procure a early 2 latch case or use one of my early two latch case and strip it down using it for replacement parts to make it run right away.. I will probably due the latter and get it going faster. I am over anxious so I probably clean it up and get it going after I finish a amberola 30 and a suitcase. Tom

tomb
Victor IV

Re: edison bell square case. s/n 9453 FINALLY RESTORED

Post by tomb »

Finished Tom See pics on top