HMV 100 № 9840

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: HMV 100 № 9840

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote:These chalk inscriptions are commonly found. I believe that they were written by assembly workers on the production line for quality control purposes. If the machine was ever returned to the factory for remedial work, the marks would identify who had assembled it at each stage of production.

I see. Thank you. I recently wondered though if the '10 x' referred to it being a 10(1) series and either a universal part or the x being a Roman Numeral for the number ten. Something destined for a specific part of a warehouse.

Sadly I suppose, like so many other things about gramophones we shall never know for sure.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I *love* the HMV 100 and I am, in turn, the proud owner of a unit.

Soundwise it's quite weak, but its miniaturised gooseneck arm is just lovely, and overall it is made with high-quality, very durable materials. I fell in love with it at first sight and for many reasons it's definitely a "keeper" within my small collection.

The HMV 102 sounds indisputably better, but at least in my opinion its built/material quality are poor by comparison.

Perhaps due to the short production years' span, the 100 is also a quite uncommon machine which is not very easy to come across.

I wonder what happened to your unit around the crank's escutcheon, it looks as if a square portion of the fabrikoid was replaced... Or at least I don't seem to remember that type of finish on my machine.

Vlad71
Victor Jr

Post by Vlad71 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:I *love* the HMV 100 and I am, in turn, the proud owner of a unit.

Soundwise it's quite weak, but its miniaturised gooseneck arm is just lovely, and overall it is made with high-quality, very durable materials. I fell in love with it at first sight and for many reasons it's definitely a "keeper" within my small collection.

The HMV 102 sounds indisputably better, but at least in my opinion its built/material quality are poor by comparison.

Perhaps due to the short production years' span, the 100 is also a quite uncommon machine which is not very easy to come across.

I wonder what happened to your unit around the crank's escutcheon, it looks as if a square portion of the fabrikoid was replaced... Or at least I don't seem to remember that type of finish on my machine.
The crank cap rested on one screw and everything around it was torn, I wanted to keep the factory finish, and made a patch.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Oh, I see, now it makes sense. You did a good job with that.

I'm amazed that a gramophone which is in overall very good conditions, was previously owned by someone clueless to the point of being unable to understand that he would destroy the front of the machine if he wouldn't screw back / replace the screw of the crank's escutcheon. But, in turn, it's not the first time that I see that indeed people like this exist.

Vlad71
Victor Jr

Post by Vlad71 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Oh, I see, now it makes sense. You did a good job with that.

I'm amazed that a gramophone which is in overall very good conditions, was previously owned by someone clueless to the point of being unable to understand that he would destroy the front of the machine if he wouldn't screw back / replace the screw of the crank's escutcheon. But, in turn, it's not the first time that I see that indeed people like this exist.
Yes, many people are very poor care of his things.