The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:41 pm
Posts: 315
Location: The verifiable exact geographic center of California.
I just purchased this machine off eBay for refurb and/or parts. I've owned several 101's, but never noticed a case style with a flap over the crank hole when the case is closed. Other than that, and the handle on the case which is not the type with the wire springs on either end that fit into the case brackets, I don't see a lot of differences on this machine as compared to my other 101 and those I've owned in the past. The lock/latch also differs from my prior 101's.

Can anyone provide an approximate date of manufacture for this machine? Was it perhaps for foreign marketing? It is coming to me from Minnesota here in the States. I am to understand the crank was moved from the front to the side around 1926/27, but not having any ready reference material to draw upon, save for the web, I'm unable to glean any information as to when this machine appeared and how long this particular iteration existed.

Thanks very much for any help/insights. Seems this is the week for HMV portables!

Kind regards,
Charlie


Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 305.77 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg [ 297.84 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:49 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 am
Posts: 154
Location: Vienna/Austria
This 101 is most likely the 1927/28 101 C.


Attachments:
c_101_212395.jpg
c_101_212395.jpg [ 25.46 KiB | Viewed 468 times ]


Last edited by Teak on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 am 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Floating Downstream
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 133
CharliePhono wrote:
I just purchased this machine off eBay for refurb and/or parts. I've owned several 101's, but never noticed a case style with a flap over the crank hole when the case is closed. Other than that, and the handle on the case which is not the type with the wire springs on either end that fit into the case brackets, I don't see a lot of differences on this machine as compared to my other 101 and those I've owned in the past. The lock/latch also differs from my prior 101's.

Can anyone provide an approximate date of manufacture for this machine? Was it perhaps for foreign marketing? It is coming to me from Minnesota here in the States. I am to understand the crank was moved from the front to the side around 1926/27, but not having any ready reference material to draw upon, save for the web, I'm unable to glean any information as to when this machine appeared and how long this particular iteration existed.

Thanks very much for any help/insights. Seems this is the week for HMV portables!

Kind regards,
Charlie



I just had a quick look on google (actually not google but the search engine 'Duck Duck Go' which I use) and seem to have found a similar example maybe.

Although the photo is there in DDG 'images' - when I went to the website I could not see it there.

The website the photo refers to is https://picclick.co.uk/HMV-His-Masters-Voice-GRAMOPHONE-332582681330.html I don't know the site - something to do with selling.

The photo reference is https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.picclick.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTA1N1gxNDQ0%2Fz%2Fv6YAAOSwOdpXwvmk%2F%24%2FHMV-101-his-masters-voice-GRAMOPHONE-GRAMMOPHON-_57.jpg&f=1

I have not copied the photo as I was concerned about copyright maybe ?

Hopefully you can click on the second link and see for you-self.

I hope that this makes sense. Most interesting as I have not seen the style of 101 either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 am 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Floating Downstream
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Posts: 133
CharliePhono wrote:
I just purchased this machine off eBay for refurb and/or parts. I've owned several 101's, but never noticed a case style with a flap over the crank hole when the case is closed. Other than that, and the handle on the case which is not the type with the wire springs on either end that fit into the case brackets, I don't see a lot of differences on this machine as compared to my other 101 and those I've owned in the past. The lock/latch also differs from my prior 101's.

Can anyone provide an approximate date of manufacture for this machine? Was it perhaps for foreign marketing? It is coming to me from Minnesota here in the States. I am to understand the crank was moved from the front to the side around 1926/27, but not having any ready reference material to draw upon, save for the web, I'm unable to glean any information as to when this machine appeared and how long this particular iteration existed.

Thanks very much for any help/insights. Seems this is the week for HMV portables!

Kind regards,
Charlie



Oh, there is another one it seems on the following link with lots of photo's to see at the top of the web page:

https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-Hmv-Model-101-Gramophone-152605433903.html


Sorry I can't provide the information you are seeking but I hope the photo's may be of interest and the thought that others do indeed exist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:24 am 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 pm
Posts: 10
Hi, this model is listed in the catalog of 1928, but I think we can safely say that this is one of the first HMV 101 where the crank was moved to the side, the date of issue of the gramophone from 1926,1927,1928 year, also note the lock 1 and 2 pen holders - they are the same!!! More specifically it is possible to tell when you remove the rotating disk under it on a wooden plate the number will be knocked out.
P.S I have no catalogue for 1926 and 1927 (That would I with certainty could say more accurate)
If You will not be difficult, take detailed pictures, thank you in advance.
Vlad


Attachments:
File comment: Number?
ол.jpg
ол.jpg [ 454.46 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]
File comment: 1925 Catalogue
2 (2).jpg
2 (2).jpg [ 313.94 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]
File comment: 1928 Catalogue
2 (1).jpg
2 (1).jpg [ 607.4 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:02 am 
Offline
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 2174
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
According to the book pictured below, which is out of print but well worth looking for secondhand, the side winding handle was fitted to the HMV101 from late 1926/early 1927. The plate attached to the lid which covered the winding hole when not in use appeared in 1927, but was only fitted until late 1928.The "Pakawa" spring loaded carrying handle was in use by 1928.


Attachments:
hmv.jpg
hmv.jpg [ 85.22 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:41 pm
Posts: 315
Location: The verifiable exact geographic center of California.
epigramophone wrote:
According to the book pictured below, which is out of print but well worth looking for secondhand, the side winding handle was fitted to the HMV101 from late 1926/early 1927. The plate attached to the lid which covered the winding hole when not in use appeared in 1927, but was only fitted until late 1928.The "Pakawa" spring loaded carrying handle was in use by 1928.


Yes, years ago I had that book, and after relocating from New England to California, it somehow disappeared in the move. I see now where copies are very expensive to obtain. I do recall it as a very comprehensive reference. Thank you for the information on the crank position and winding hole cover!

And thanks to all who took the time to respond to my post. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Charlie
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:41 pm
Posts: 315
Location: The verifiable exact geographic center of California.
Vlad71 wrote:
Hi, this model is listed in the catalog of 1928, but I think we can safely say that this is one of the first HMV 101 where the crank was moved to the side, the date of issue of the gramophone from 1926,1927,1928 year, also note the lock 1 and 2 pen holders - they are the same!!! More specifically it is possible to tell when you remove the rotating disk under it on a wooden plate the number will be knocked out.
P.S I have no catalogue for 1926 and 1927 (That would I with certainty could say more accurate)
If You will not be difficult, take detailed pictures, thank you in advance.
Vlad


Very informative, Vlad, and I thank you! Once I receive the machine, I will indeed remove the turntable and see what, if any, number is stamped into the motor board.

Best regards,
Charlie
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: HMV 101 Identification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:50 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:41 pm
Posts: 315
Location: The verifiable exact geographic center of California.
poodling around wrote:

I just had a quick look on google (actually not google but the search engine 'Duck Duck Go' which I use) and seem to have found a similar example maybe.

Although the photo is there in DDG 'images' - when I went to the website I could not see it there.

The website the photo refers to is https://picclick.co.uk/HMV-His-Masters-Voice-GRAMOPHONE-332582681330.html I don't know the site - something to do with selling.

The photo reference is https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.picclick.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTA1N1gxNDQ0%2Fz%2Fv6YAAOSwOdpXwvmk%2F%24%2FHMV-101-his-masters-voice-GRAMOPHONE-GRAMMOPHON-_57.jpg&f=1

I have not copied the photo as I was concerned about copyright maybe ?

Hopefully you can click on the second link and see for you-self.

I hope that this makes sense. Most interesting as I have not seen the style of 101 either.


Most informative, and thank you!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.