Restoring red leather on red/gilt HMV 101...shoe polish?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Vlad71
Victor Jr

Re: Restoring red leather on red/gilt HMV 101...shoe polish?

Post by Vlad71 »

PeterF wrote:Great, thanks. I'll grab a few likely candidates and do tests...the stuff is cheap.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions! I'll post before and after pix when done.
I'm doing this.
1. Clean.
2. Paint.
Attachments
SAM_2946.JPG
SAM_2947.JPG
SAM_2945.JPG
Cleaning
Cleaning
Surface paint. It is recommended for all types of leather products (shoes, clothes, furniture). Aerosol-paint for skin, with a very strong coloring effect and matte texture, for products from smooth skin types and artificial leather. Allows aged skins to find the original color and appearance of the new product. For repair, restoration and restoration of leather products (shoes, furniture, car dealerships, leather goods).
Surface paint. It is recommended for all types of leather products (shoes, clothes, furniture). Aerosol-paint for skin, with a very strong coloring effect and matte texture, for products from smooth skin types and artificial leather. Allows aged skins to find the original color and appearance of the new product. For repair, restoration and restoration of leather products (shoes, furniture, car dealerships, leather goods).
1.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Components of natural plant origin! A mild plant-based cleanser for all skin types and textiles. The combination of active agents with natural orange oil perfectly removes stains, dirt, stains on salt, refreshes the color of the product. Suitable for all colors. Biodegradable.
Components of natural plant origin! A mild plant-based cleanser for all skin types and textiles. The combination of active agents with natural orange oil perfectly removes stains, dirt, stains on salt, refreshes the color of the product. Suitable for all colors. Biodegradable.
Salamander_Orange Cleaner_200_1-500x500.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Following up on this one, I got several varieties of shoe cream from Amazon, and did some experiments. Now, this is never going to be a beautiful full restoration; the thing just needs to be "evened-out" and made presentable.

Although the finish is originally described as "red" the available shade I found to be most closely matched to that of the unweathered interior leather is the "scarlet" flavor of Kelly's Leather Shoe Cream. It's $6.50 for a small jar, plenty enough to do the entire case of my 101. I'll probably touch up the insides (after experimentation to assure it will be a good result) as well to make the whole thing really truly match, and add a bit of sheen.

Here is the link to Amazon for this particular shoe cream:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N57RVIS/re ... ZAbBD9G6Y8

When I get the whole thing done I'll post before and after pix. Don't get too excited; this is a driver not a garage queen, and I'm just getting rid of the faded pink outer shade, and minimizing the numerous scars.
Attachments
kelly's scarlet.jpg
kelly's scarlet.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 1440 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

You can, of course, mix colours of shoe cream, as you would with paint. For my red 101, I used one pot of red (can't remember which), with a small dollop of brown. The advantage of cream is that it can be removed easily with white spirit or turpentine if you don't get the right shade first time.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I'm not that brave! Plus this one is almost spot-on.

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

u usually use just old style soap (i try to get antique bars where I can) and water at first, if you don't make the rubbing cloth too wet it will work fine getting all the gunk, grime and other out of the covering of the case
and that's step one
I'm an antiquarian book restorer although I perform another trade these days due to disability so I know my coverings and case finishes
step 2
the case is now clean and dry and since there's wood beneath the covering needs to be checked for loose ends if there are any the ends need to be damped and the (acid-free bookbinders) glue needs to be applied to the wood and if there are hollow bids of covering next to the loose ends use a spatula to push in the glue as far as possible then wait until the glue is tacky then rub and stretch a bit on the loose end sides usually the corners then when half dry clamp with boards
step 3
the now cleaned and reattached cover will have scuffs, scratches and even holes (sometimes) for this I make my own filler from beeswax and coloring (if you don't have such skills use crayons) and I start to fill in the damage bit by bit and its apply and then rub and repeat that process until all seem to be fully filled in
step 4 now you have a case with rather bright spots of color that are brighter than the base color not to worry because were at the finishing point well I make my own rubbing wax to match exactly the color a book or a gramophone needs to be the clue in case of books can be found on the inside of the cover the part that was not exposed to light the same goes for portable gramophones the interior in a lot of cases is untouched by mother sun so we know the color
when we have the right type of wax/color mix of wax or,.. the right color shoe wax we can apply and the end result will be a good almost as-new finish but with a touch of age just as we like it its a well preserved antique instead of a battered piece!
$_86 (5).JPG
$_86 (4).JPG
but will I be able to make something of this!! my newest prize!
it was found in Tanzania 20 years ago and it had been intensively used for decades!

tino