Curious Pathé Graphophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Teak
Victor II

Curious Pathé Graphophone

Post by Teak »

I always wondered, what that cylinder machine at the back of my local dealers shop was. Today I found out. 100€ later, I had another basket case project on hand.
It is some kind of Pathé version of the Graphophone AT. The case looks to be walnut, the motor is completely boggled together (unbelievable). I would love to know more about it.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_201.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_202.jpeg
DSCN3829.JPG

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Curious Pathé Graphophone

Post by Lucius1958 »

These are definitely AT works. Pathé started out importing Columbia mechanisms, and building their own cases, before they began marketing their own designs.

Bill

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

These styles of graphophones are not commonly found in the US.
Are they plentiful in Europe or did the World Wars take its toll?

James.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

If I had to guess I would say, they are even more rare than the Graphophone AT.

I did some digging in Pathé catalogues. The Machine has to be pre 1900 as in the 1900 catalogue its successor is already for sale:
Path1900P207_19.jpg
Path1900P207_19.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
I also found one real picture of that newer version:
PATHE-GRAPHO1.jpg
PATHE-GRAPHO1.jpg (81.15 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
My version is only depicted at the beginning of the catalogue, without further notation.
Path1900P207_21.jpg
Path1900P207_21.jpg (77.64 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
The earlier 1898 catalogue shows the original Graphophone AT for sale at Pathés shop:
PATH_AOT1898_21.jpg
PATH_AOT1898_21.jpg (67.29 KiB) Viewed 2280 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The mechanism on your machine appears to be around 1898 or so. It has the plates on the spring barrels, not the tabs. Is there a Graphophone ID tag on the bedplate? Also, are there any traces of the decoration on the black enameled upper works?If so, that would be interesting to see.
Harvey Kravitz

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

The square lid is quite unusual.
Attached an extract of Pathé August 1898 catalog.
Attachments
scan6r.jpg
Scan0004.jpg

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Teak wrote:If I had to guess I would say, they are even more rare than the Graphophone AT.

I did some digging in Pathé catalogues. The Machine has to be pre 1900 as in the 1900 catalogue its successor is already for sale:

I also found one real picture of that newer version:
Pathé-GRAPHO1.jpg
My version is only depicted at the beginning of the catalogue, without further notation.
The machine on http://www.noedison.com looks in spectacular condition.

The 1898 catalogue has Pathé selling both Edison and Graphophone machines "officially" . ie a Graphophone AT with all the correct transfers!

Have a look very carefully on the black casting of your machine & see if there is anything out of the ordinary Hint: back side middle low on the casting below the mandrel :-)

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

Sidewinder wrote: Have a look very carefully on the black casting of your machine & see if there is anything out of the ordinary Hint: back side middle low on the casting below the mandrel :-)
It seems to be a real Pathé version. Only gold pinstripes and no Platemarks on the nickel board.
The motor is really bodged. Spare AT works are on the way, I hope I will be able to scavenge some parts needed.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_205.jpeg
DSCN3839.JPG
fullsizeoutput_204.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_203.jpeg

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

There was a french company called "Manufacture Francaise Apparails Precision" who began making machines "System Graphophone" in 1897/1898. Pathé made an alliance with this company and soon bought them out as the Pathé manufacturing arm. MFAP firstly manufactured the rather suspect graphophone immitations (they may have had some type of licence?? no one knows for sure) Some early machines (pre Pathé take over) were with the MFAP logo on the cabinet and castings. Then there is a period with the MFAP castings with the Pathé logo on the square style cabinets, and then the graphophone style castings just with gold pinstriping. I asked about your casting as I expected the MFAP logo :-)

The AT motor and this one may not be 1:1 i suspect!
Attachments
mfap.jpg

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

Sidewinder wrote: The AT motor and this one may not be 1:1 i suspect!
The one I bought of ebay yesterday looks incredibly similar!
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg