Interesting record sleeve

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
PeterF
Victor IV

Early HMV 102 portable - "Universal" Brake

Post by PeterF »

Thanks Inigo for that description. I know that English is not your first language and so there are a few aspects that may not be crystal clear to all, but I was able to follow along pretty well...after spending some time just yesterday closely observing my own freshly-new-to-me early 102 with that brake.

Luckily I had seen warnings against oiling the friction washer!

Mine works perfectly, as found. I will make a youtube video of it, and attach it to this string to help others grasp the operational details.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Interesting record sleeve

Post by Phono48 »

Inigo wrote:I don't know the mechanics of the early style of auto stop, as I've never seen one.
Here you are, but don't ask me to explain exactly how it works, it would take too long! Suffice to say it depends on the round piece with the flat on one side, which is mounted on an additional spindle that protrudes from the motor.

With respect to those who have a machine with one of these brakes who say that they work perfectly, fine, that is their experience with it on the ONE machine they have. The majority of us that have various models fitted with these brakes will agree with the manufacturers - they are notoriously unreliable!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Thanks for the photos. It seems pretty complex... In the end I suppose that this finger near the spindle moves towards it, engaging with the little finger-and-ring attached to the spindle, which in the end of the responsible for stopping the rotation of the turntable, as in the latter models. But there the finger-and-ring is located around the turntable collar that supports the turntable on the spindle. At least it looks like that, although it is a vertical view from above... I mean on the first photo...
Inigo

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I made some videos of the brake and posted them in a new thread, here:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 11&t=35753