Cylinder and 7" record player in one, mystery machine

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
snallast
Victor II

Re: Cylinder and 7" record player in one, mystery machine

Post by snallast »

Thank you Brandon for the advertisement, now we know what it is!!! And thank you Fonografica for your photo! If I buy it now there is a chance of restoring it. This Forum is the best!

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Hi All , Thanks should go to Brandon for digging out the original advert from a previous thread , but thanks should also go to myself because it was myself who uploaded the ad in the first place in the post by Fonographica ! ( I haven't got a large head -- honest !! )
The machines were German made -- probably by one of the several large factories such as Fritz Puppel , Biedermann & Czarnikow or maybe Carl Lindstrom AG and the catalogue picture is from my 1905 catalogue of products from Symond's London Stores -- SLS almost certainly imported a remainder stock of a poor selling product -- SLS were large discount retailers , aiming their products chiefly at the cheap end of the market. Regards from England Dulcetto

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Hi again , I should have said -- the machine pictured is missing its complete reproducer carriage for playing cylinders ( as Fonographica mentions ), and of course the floating reproducer, but also the extension support for the turntable when set up for playing discs ( to raise the turntable to the required vertical position for playing ), as well as the associated travelling arm , sound- tube and sound-box for discs . Dulcetto

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

After all I wont be able to persue the PHONOGRAM or other objects in this exceptional auction, other things are happening in my life / here's the website in case anyone on the forum is interested (it goes under the club the 18th, in 2 days. I'll post in the auction alert too but since this thread is already on the go here it is https://www.tooveys.com/

the lot is 2553, check out the Berliner record with his voice allegedly from 1888 for example...

Would be great to hear about how these things end up

Snal

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

By sheer co-incidence , an identical example of this rare machine turned up in an auction rooms in Scotland and was auctioned off today. The one in Scotland had even more missing parts -- no winding handle , no turntable , no up-stand support for the travelling arm , no travelling arm, no sound-box for discs , no horn. The carriage for playing cylinders is also completely missing as is the floating reproducer. So what you have left basically is a wooden box ( and cover ) with a motor and a cylinder mandrel. Sold to internet buyer for £1,100 plus buyer's premium = £1,337.60 total .