Dung cellar find

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Dung cellar find

Post by nostalgia »

We all know and enjoy the expression "barn find", but dung cellar find may instantly create some different feelings. :lol:
Still, this was a dung cellar find, and it was a sad look really, a HMV 157 standing alone in this dung cellar. I still tool some pity on it, since I knew the landfill was close on the horizon for this machine. I at first wanted to try to restore it, but with doors that were bent because of long time dampness, and also missing veneer on both door, and veneers falling off on the rest of the machine, I understood this would be too difficult, at least for me to restore it.
Still, I had a solution. For a longer period I knew a gramophone enthusiast had been looking for a horn for his 157, somehow his machine had had its horn removed in the past, and the cabinet on that machine was good looking, only missing its horn. So well, the horn was salvaged from this dung cellar machine, and I helped the soon lucky owner of the horn missing 157 to get his machine up and running.
Another part of the story is that I had to carry the horn 10 floors up since the elevator was not working, and of course also forgot some wooden strips that is holding the cabinet in its position in my car, so I had to walk 20 floors up during the first few minutes of the visit, luckily my heart is still pretty strong, at least it seems so... :geek:
Attachments
september 2023 3301.jpg
september 2023 3300.jpg
september 2023 3298.jpg
september 2023 3291.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Dung cellar find

Post by epigramophone »

Never having heard this expression before, I decided to look it up :

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dungeon

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Please help me find the correct English name for this room. I googled it,,and it came up with "dung cellar" in the online dictionary.
Above this room in the barn, the cows were kept, and there would be a hatch in the floor, and the manure would end in this basement room.
Luckily the room had been emptied of manure, but it was still, and will always be an awful smell in this room.
In Norwegian, it is named: "møkka-kjeller", where møkk (moekk) is manure....

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Glad to read that one working machine was made out of two, but at least judging by the pictures you uploaded this dung cellar 157 didn't look in such shameful conditions - excepting the doors of course, but that's quite an easy fix.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I guess eveything is relative, Marco...
I would have needed to make new doors, and find veneer for both the doors and also the top lid, and one side of the cabinet, and as we can see...the grill also was absent. Knowing this gramophone enthusiast that for soon 2 years had been looking for a horn his 157, his only gramophone, I felt it was better to get his 157 back to a "living condition", and yes...I also already have two 157s in my house, that is at least one too many.
Next week, I will also have two 163s in my house, the second that already was stripped, and discussed here in another thread, is almost ready. The only small job left is stitching the new grill cloth, and it will happen during the weekend.
IF...I am brave enough, I may show the resultm how this 163 now is looking...even if I know it will arise turmoil in here. But maybe we neeed some turmoil, it has been rather quiet here lately. :mrgreen: And really, I am not that afraid of some turmoil, even if I maybe appear hestant at times in here:;)

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Yes, that's very understandable. I wonder how could it be that a machine such as this was left without horn; possibly the aftermath of an uncompleted repair. Well, there's plenty of mechanical spare parts for other 157s as well, I suppose, which is a good thing. Still, it's sad to see a cabinet go.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Did the HMV disc on it survive? If it did, what was on it?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Pallophotophone, excellent observation, and excellent question.
And an excellent disc/record was on it. It was my first observation, and initial caretaking, to remove the record, and bring it into safety in my car. It was extremely dusty, but some cleaning uncovered a gem of a record, with no major scratches. That my favorite UK dance orchestra was on it, was a win win.
Photo attached of the record :clover: :)
Attachments
My dream memory.jpg

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Congratulations To You !!
There one more win in store for you ! That song was composed by Oscar Levant. For me, an important American pianist who also appeared in some fine films.
I can understand your feelings about the record, and the excellent orchestra recorded therein. I have always found Jack's recordings to be top notch.
And the short films he made for Philips radio and with George Pal thoroughly wonderful.
My particular favourite recordings are "When Day Is Done" and "Jack Hylton Throws A Party". But those choices are hard for me to make.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks a lot for the good update on "My dream memory", and your Jack Hylton favorites. Much appreciated :)