Who / What was The General Phonograph Company ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Attachments
agene.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Who / What was The General Phonograph Company ?

Post by estott »

There was an American company called General Phonograph Co. , operated by Otto Heineman, which made and sold a variety of phonograph parts as well as producing the OkeH records. Yours might be a UK branch, or more likely an unrelated firm.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

I thought Soundgen having been " in the business " for more years than him or I would care to remember would have known this one ! :D but I know his emphasis is on machines rather than records. The General Phonograph Co Ltd was initially set up to manufacture and market " White " brand cylinder records, an ex. National Phonograph Co. ( Edison ) employee , James White being the general manager . There was later a tie up with Neophone discs for a short while before the company got into financial difficulties and folded around 1908. Dulcetto

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Dulcetto wrote:I thought Soundgen having been " in the business " for more years than him or I would care to remember would have known this one ! :D but I know his emphasis is on machines rather than records. The General Phonograph Co Ltd was initially set up to manufacture and market " White " brand cylinder records, an ex. National Phonograph Co. ( Edison ) employee , James White being the general manager . There was later a tie up with Neophone discs for a short while before the company got into financial difficulties and folded around 1908. Dulcetto

Thanks for that , I didn't know and looked online and couldn't find anything , I have 4 of these debentures to dispose of if any one is interested !