Unusual Thorens cylinder phonograph ------ Enquiry

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Dulcetto
Victor II

Unusual Thorens cylinder phonograph ------ Enquiry

Post by Dulcetto »

Hello All, I have been restoring an unusual Thorens cylinder phonograph which was sold new in UK as their " Majestic " model . It has the capability to play both standard diameter cylinders also Pathé's intermediate diameter cylinders by using a slip - on mandrel for the purpose. As can be seen in the accompanying images , the vertical position of the reproducer can be adjusted to suit the chosen format of record to be played as the horn is pivoted and mounted upon a support - rod in a similar manner to Pathé's own cylinder phonograph models that employ a built-in " Orpheus " arrangement. The reproducer fits directly to the end of the horn, again in a similar manner to Pathé machines, indeed the same as many European phonographs. The reproducer was missing when I acquired the machine , but I have sourced a correct pattern original Thorens reproducer for it. I am hoping another forum member may have an example of this fairly rare model ( Thorens manufactured a similar model that also had the capability to play Pathé intermediate records, the " Minerva "). My question is how does the reproducer connect to the horn ? There is the remnant of a rubber lining inside the narrow end of the horn and I suspect there should be a small length of metal tubing to connect the two parts ? I assume the reproducer used on the " Majestic " and " Minerva " would be exactly the same as used on other Thorens models ( other than their basic model which used a smaller diameter reproducer ),one end of this piece of tubing being suitably notched so as to hold the reproducer in its correct lateral playing position. Any help appreciated ! Regards Dulcetto
Attachments
IMG_7256.JPG
IMG_7128.JPG
IMG_7134.JPG
IMG_7132.JPG
IMG_7133.JPG

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Unusual Thorens cylinder phonograph ------ Enquiry

Post by Sidewinder »

I think your reproducer would fit a Thorens Cleopatra. As you surmise, for this machine it would probably be something similar to Pathé with a rubber adaptor that connects reproducer to horn.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

This machine is the most beautiful I have ever seen !

I love the design.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Are you planning to sell it?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

I love it !