Polish 1915 Syrena Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Polish 1915 Syrena Gramophone

Post by CarlosV »

Lucius1958 wrote:I must admit: for sheer glamor, European machines left their American rivals in the dust... :pig:

Bill
You're right, Bill. If you exclude the English machines and their stern Victorian air(except maybe for the extravagant Melba model), French Pathé made great looking ornate models, Spanish HMV had colorful machines, the German and Swiss also made some ornate machines, and as we see in this thread, Eastern Europe also produced great looking ones!

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Beautiful machines! First time I've run across them.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Lucius1958 wrote:I must admit: for sheer glamor, European machines left their American rivals in the dust... :pig:

Bill
I would agree, and I want to add the machine in the original posting is a real stunner. Beautiful!

That said, I have the impression American *motors* tended to be more robust and powerful than their (at least continental) European counterparts. Or perhaps I've just been unlucky in the European machines that have come my way?

maestro2009
Victor O
Personal Text: Collector

Post by maestro2009 »

I would agree, and I want to add the machine in the original posting is a real stunner. Beautiful!

That said, I have the impression American *motors* tended to be more robust and powerful than their (at least continental) European counterparts. Or perhaps I've just been unlucky in the European machines that have come my way?
You have no idea about many things!!! Here is a gramophone with a rare motor.Dimensions 48x48 cm.
Attachments
FN-wrLBO8h0.jpg
42566727_b.jpeg
DSC00709.JPG
vsq20vTw6dA.jpg

muzafan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I like old tech phonographs in particular

Post by muzafan »

maestro2009 wrote:

You have no idea about many things!!! Here is a gramophone with a rare motor.Dimensions 48x48 cm.
I once saw a complete gramophone with the case from the first picture on an auction, but they wanted about 4000 euro for it. I wonder what is the value of Syrena machines

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Form 1912 this ad shows the manufacturer of the metal parts found on your Syrena.
Phonographische Zeitschrift 1912 decoration.jpg
James.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

drh wrote:

Bill

The best motors ever made were from the European continent and then the UK. My guess is that you have not had much exposure to the high end product from European marks, Parlophone, Pathé and Paillard.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The machine is an absolute beauty. As others have said I sincerely appreciate seeing rare high quality machines I've never seen before.

Congratulations on a great restoration from another collector of odd rare and decorative models

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Steve, most probable to the enormous proliferation of the smaller Thorens motors and their ready availability. Many manufacturers (or later restorers) used these motors even in the largest machines, and that's the most we find today. Big good quality gramophones with those old huge Swiss and German motors are a rarity!
Inigo