Auction Madness....

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Auction Madness....

Post by Gramtastic »

Went to an auction today which advertised this "HMV" Horn gramophone. At one glance anyone with even a small amount of common sense could see that it was originally an HMV hornless which had had the innards removed and the horn opening closed off with a piece of plywood. The back bracket looked as if it had been made by the local blacksmith and the wooden horn was made of a cheap ply.The motor and motorboard probably came from an old cabinet machine - total value for parts - around £30 ?

How much did this beauty sell for I hear you ask ??....... how about £540 plus 23% commission i.e. around £665 plus transport as it was an online bidder.
Is the world going mad ???
Attachments
HMV.jpg
HMV.jpg (68.47 KiB) Viewed 2171 times

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Auction Madness....

Post by Sidewinder »

And as comparison, the MEW MELBA at 900 was an absolute steal?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Take a look at this concoction which sold at a local auction last month for £250 plus Buyers premium. It looked quite promising in the picture, but on examination...

Case by Pathé, motor by Garrard, brown rim turntable probably from a radiogram, back bracket elbow and soundbox by Crapophone. Tonearm possibly period. The brass Morning Glory horn looked like G&T/HMV from a distance until one saw the soldering. There is indeed one born every minute.
Attachments
212_03-05-18.jpg

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

The top wooden horn looks original to me. I have a mahogany one of similar style and I have seen them on ebay occasionally , so someone may have wanted the horn.
The bottom horn is similar to the scarce hmv brass morning glory but something about its profile doesn't quite look right.
Stephen

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

I found a photo on my phone. Not the best of photos but you get the idea
Attachments
IMG_2572.JPG

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I find these exorbitant prices a very unfortunate thing. At auctions there are just too many people who do not look at what they are bidding on and drive prices up. Doesn't matter whether it's furniture, a phonograph, or an antique firearm. There's a strange competitive psychology to an auction. People will bid an item up to a high price and pay more than they would at an antique store for the same item. And then when in that antique store won't look twice at that same item and claim the price is too high. Just the way it is.