size of a hmv motor model 410 ball bearing

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Lagge0101
Victor Jr
Personal Text: 16 y/o

size of a hmv motor model 410 ball bearing

Post by Lagge0101 »

I recently lost the ball bearing that supports the turntable spindle on my HMV 101 motor model 410. I have been looking everywhere for it, but cant seem to find it :x I came to the conclusion that its better if I buy a new ball bearing of the internet. Does anyone know the size of the ball bearing? From what i’ve heard it is a rather small ball bearing maybe not more than 1mm. I want to have the original size when putting the motor back together.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Lagge0101 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lagge

box_o_records23
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Collector in Romania

Re: Ball bearing problem...

Post by box_o_records23 »

Lagge0101 wrote:I recently lost the ball bearing that supports the turntable spindle on my HMV 101 motor model 410. I have been looking everywhere for it, but cant seem to find it :x I came to the conclusion that its better if I buy a new ball bearing of the internet. Does anyone know the size of the ball bearing? From what i’ve heard it is a rather small ball bearing maybe not more than 1mm. I want to have the original size when putting the motor back together.

Thanks in advance
Good evening sir,I have a HMV 101B and I receantly restored it. The same very bearing was missing since I opened up the motor and it doesn't seem to cause any harm or malfunctions,it rests pretty good in the brass slot. Judging by the lack of
wear marks on the spindle and the fact that I couldn't see what any fresh wear marks on it(used it daily from late february till today and serviced it for research) I can say it's not an urgent thing to fix. Till you find a matching bearing I'd reccommend greasing it very well. Best regards Alexander :D

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I would add the ball bearing. It was designed that way for a reason.

Garret

Lagge0101
Victor Jr

Post by Lagge0101 »

As you said it may not be a very big problem but the thing is that i get a wierd scraping noise from the turntable spindle when it spins around, my first thought was that the ball bearing was missing so the end of the turntable spindle (the end that is supposed to have a ball bearing) was grinding against the bottom plate. There also seems to be a problem with the turntable itself, its to low and that makes it scrape against the whole speed control mechanism. (when the motor is in the gramophone case and trying to play a song)

I can see nothing wrong with the motor itself except that the ball bearing is missing.
Lagge

Lagge0101
Victor Jr

Post by Lagge0101 »

Garret wrote:I would add the ball bearing. It was designed that way for a reason.

Garret
Yes, the problem is still though that i need a new ball bearing and the size of the ball bearing is to me unknown.
Lagge

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: What’s the size of a hmv motor model 410 ball bearing

Post by gramophone-georg »

Post a pic of your motor and where the spindle goes into the motor frame. Wonder if a Victor ball is the same.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Lagge0101
Victor Jr

Re: What’s the size of a hmv motor model 410 ball bearing

Post by Lagge0101 »

gramophone-georg wrote:Post a pic of your motor and where the spindle goes into the motor frame. Wonder if a Victor ball is the same.
Attachments
Where the ball bearing is supposed to be, you can see the small dent that the ball have made
Where the ball bearing is supposed to be, you can see the small dent that the ball have made
Picture of the whole spindle
Picture of the whole spindle
Lagge

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: size of a hmv motor model 410 ball bearing

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Lagge0101 wrote:Does anyone know the size of the ball bearing?
The ball bearing at the bottom of a Victor Electrola motor spindle is .188" (3/16"). Not sure if it's the same as yours, but if it fits into the hole, it will likely work, I would think.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

box_o_records23 wrote:
Lagge0101 wrote:I recently lost the ball bearing that supports the turntable spindle on my HMV 101 motor model 410. I have been looking everywhere for it, but cant seem to find it :x I came to the conclusion that its better if I buy a new ball bearing of the internet. Does anyone know the size of the ball bearing? From what i’ve heard it is a rather small ball bearing maybe not more than 1mm. I want to have the original size when putting the motor back together.

Thanks in advance
Good evening sir,I have a HMV 101B and I receantly restored it. The same very bearing was missing since I opened up the motor and it doesn't seem to cause any harm or malfunctions,it rests pretty good in the brass slot. Judging by the lack of
wear marks on the spindle and the fact that I couldn't see what any fresh wear marks on it(used it daily from late february till today and serviced it for research) I can say it's not an urgent thing to fix. Till you find a matching bearing I'd reccommend greasing it very well. Best regards Alexander :D

I am astonished your machine works without the bottom ball bearing are you sure it is missing , lack of the ball bearing stops the machine dead when playing a record

Lagge0101
Victor Jr

Post by Lagge0101 »

soundgen wrote:
box_o_records23 wrote:

Thanks in advance

I am astonished your machine works without the bottom ball bearing are you sure it is missing , lack of the ball bearing stops the machine dead when playing a record

The thing is that i cant play a record, the turntable wont even spin properly, right now the spindle is spinning metal to metal , there is no ball inside i have checked multiple times and i would have noticed. You can also see in the picture that there is no ball inside :P
Last edited by Lagge0101 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lagge