The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chocolate Records
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:51 am 
Victor III
A whole bunch of them https://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Antike-Stollwerck-Phonographen-Karbin-Platten-in-Verkaufs-Packung-vor-1945/372350631162?hash=item56b1d3bcfa:g:7y8AAOSwPcBbNQIa

Probably not edible, but seem playable. Stollwerck gramophones are on the market now and then, but playable records like these look like are rare.

The main challenge for the buyer is to explain to the family how the record collection now is expanding to the fridge.

Attachments:
Stollwerck.jpg
Stollwerck.jpg [ 258.29 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

Post subject: Re: Chocolate Records
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 am 
Victor III
duplicated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:51 am 
Victor VI
I have good days...this might not be one of them
I've read that Stollwerck also issued pressed composition records in addition to the tinfoil covered chocolate discs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:46 pm 
Victor III
estott wrote:
I've read that Stollwerck also issued pressed composition records in addition to the tinfoil covered chocolate discs

These may be such records, they look too good for 80-year old chocolate. I presume these are equally scarce, first time I see them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:06 pm 
Victor IV
In 1903 Stollwerck made disks approximately 3" diameter in both chocolate and a wax compound called 'karbin.' That is what these appear to be. In 1904 they made 4.5" disks from a pressed composition cardboard material with a thin wax-like coated surface. The 3" karbin-wax records are very scarce indeed. The 4" disks are much rarer, and unfortunately the surface has a tendency to de-laminate. I have yet to see an original chocolate disk, though I suspect there must be some survivors.

The smaller disks were made for the green-colored lithographed tin phonograph, the larger ones were for the later version with wooden cabinet.

Here are pictures of both sizes, front and back. The surface on the larger disk has some mold, but it plays reasonably well. This particular record qualifies as ridiculously rare, due to the title -- "Stars and Stripes March." I have never seen another American title on a Stollwerck of either size, though I have seen a couple of British ones. The karbin-wax disk on the left is "La Marseillaise," which is obviously also a very desirable title.

Attachments:
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG [ 372.99 KiB | Viewed 917 times ]
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG [ 367.52 KiB | Viewed 917 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:18 pm 
Victor III
TinfoilPhono wrote:
In 1903 Stollwerck made disks approximately 3" diameter in both chocolate and a wax compound called 'karbin.' That is what these appear to be. In 1904 they made 4.5" disks from a pressed composition cardboard material with a thin wax-like coated surface. The 3" karbin-wax records are very scarce indeed. The 4" disks are much rarer, and unfortunately the surface has a tendency to de-laminate. I have yet to see an original chocolate disk, though I suspect there must be some survivors.

The smaller disks were made for the green-colored lithographed tin phonograph, the larger ones were for the later version with wooden cabinet.

Here are pictures of both sizes, front and back. The surface on the larger disk has some mold, but it plays reasonably well. This particular record qualifies as ridiculously rare, due to the title -- "Stars and Stripes March." I have never seen another American title on a Stollwerck of either size, though I have seen a couple of British ones. The karbin-wax disk on the left is "La Marseillaise," which is obviously also a very desirable title.

This is very interesting, thanks for posting! Your inputs confirm that the ebay disks are definitely bad for the health. And probably taste bad as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:51 am 
Victor O
The Museu da Musica Mecanica in Portugal sells these chocolate records, although edible I'm not sure they are playable!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg9NszcHuWj ... hvqv6q84xq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:38 pm 
Victor III
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
These went for about what I thought they would. Wish they were mine!

Attachments:
20180708_173441.jpg
20180708_173441.jpg [ 177.99 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org