Chocolate Records

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Chocolate Records

Post by CarlosV »

A whole bunch of them https://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Antike-Stoll ... SwPcBbNQIa

Probably not edible, but seem playable. Stollwerck gramophones are on the market now and then, but playable records like these look like are rare.

The main challenge for the buyer is to explain to the family how the record collection now is expanding to the fridge.
Attachments
Stollwerck.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Chocolate Records

Post by CarlosV »

duplicated

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I've read that Stollwerck also issued pressed composition records in addition to the tinfoil covered chocolate discs

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

estott wrote:I've read that Stollwerck also issued pressed composition records in addition to the tinfoil covered chocolate discs
These may be such records, they look too good for 80-year old chocolate. I presume these are equally scarce, first time I see them.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

In 1903 Stollwerck made disks approximately 3" diameter in both chocolate and a wax compound called 'karbin.' That is what these appear to be. In 1904 they made 4.5" disks from a pressed composition cardboard material with a thin wax-like coated surface. The 3" karbin-wax records are very scarce indeed. The 4" disks are much rarer, and unfortunately the surface has a tendency to de-laminate. I have yet to see an original chocolate disk, though I suspect there must be some survivors.

The smaller disks were made for the green-colored lithographed tin phonograph, the larger ones were for the later version with wooden cabinet.

Here are pictures of both sizes, front and back. The surface on the larger disk has some mold, but it plays reasonably well. This particular record qualifies as ridiculously rare, due to the title -- "Stars and Stripes March." I have never seen another American title on a Stollwerck of either size, though I have seen a couple of British ones. The karbin-wax disk on the left is "La Marseillaise," which is obviously also a very desirable title.
Attachments
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

TinfoilPhono wrote:In 1903 Stollwerck made disks approximately 3" diameter in both chocolate and a wax compound called 'karbin.' That is what these appear to be. In 1904 they made 4.5" disks from a pressed composition cardboard material with a thin wax-like coated surface. The 3" karbin-wax records are very scarce indeed. The 4" disks are much rarer, and unfortunately the surface has a tendency to de-laminate. I have yet to see an original chocolate disk, though I suspect there must be some survivors.

The smaller disks were made for the green-colored lithographed tin phonograph, the larger ones were for the later version with wooden cabinet.

Here are pictures of both sizes, front and back. The surface on the larger disk has some mold, but it plays reasonably well. This particular record qualifies as ridiculously rare, due to the title -- "Stars and Stripes March." I have never seen another American title on a Stollwerck of either size, though I have seen a couple of British ones. The karbin-wax disk on the left is "La Marseillaise," which is obviously also a very desirable title.
This is very interesting, thanks for posting! Your inputs confirm that the ebay disks are definitely bad for the health. And probably taste bad as well.

fonografica
Victor O

Post by fonografica »

The Museu da Musica Mecanica in Portugal sells these chocolate records, although edible I'm not sure they are playable!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg9NszcHuWj ... hvqv6q84xq

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

These went for about what I thought they would. Wish they were mine!