What is the best way to store 78 records ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

What is the best way to store 78 records ?

Post by poodling around »

4 or 5 horizontally / flat

Up-right and loose ?

Up-right and tightly packed ?

Or doesn't it really matter as long as the surrounding temperature isn't too hot ?

Thanks for your advice.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: What is the best way to store 78 records ?

Post by Lucius1958 »

Upright is generally best. As long as they aren't leaning too much, and you have proper dividers between every batch of records, you'll be OK.

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

All I would add to Bill's good advice is that humidity is as important as temperature.

I and two other collector friends are currently exhuming about 3000 records from a damp farm building in deepest darkest Somerset. Some of the records are so badly affected that their labels have been eaten away, and many more are affected by mould. It is a messy job, but there are some gems among the dross.

The majority of my records are stored vertically on wooden pigeonhole shelving in an insulated brick outbuilding with background heating for the winter months.

Roger.

poodling around
Victor V

Lucius1958 wrote:Upright is generally best. As long as they aren't leaning too much, and you have proper dividers between every batch of records, you'll be OK.

Bill

Very good. Thank you Bill

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:All I would add to Bill's good advice is that humidity is as important as temperature.

I and two other collector friends are currently exhuming about 3000 records from a damp farm building in deepest darkest Somerset. Some of the records are so badly affected that their labels have been eaten away, and many more are affected by mould. It is a messy job, but there are some gems among the dross.

The majority of my records are stored vertically on wooden pigeonhole shelving in an insulated brick outbuilding with background heating for the winter months.

Roger.
Thank you Roger.

Your Somerset adventure sounds fantastic ! I hope that you create a thread telling us all about it one day.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

there is of course, an alternative theory that horizontal is best ! The Sesame record cabinet patented in 1921 stores them flat (horizontally) until you open the cabinet door which swings down and allows you to select a record which is now vertical... As others have said, atmospheric conditions etc are just as important as vertical/horizontal storage. Vertical storage in warm conditions with a lot of space around the records can allow the weight of the record to warp itself whereas there is not as much room to warp in a flat pile.... Either way , a warped record can easily be flattened by gentle warming in an oven and pressing between two flat sheets of wood.

You pays your money and you takes your choice !!
Attachments
sesame.jpg
IMG_3927.JPG

Loudbass
Victor O

Post by Loudbass »

Very interesting to see the 'Sesame'. Frank Darrieulat's EMG record storage cabinet uses a similar idea, though with pull out shelves.
Attachments
IMG_2126.JPG

poodling around
Victor V

Loudbass wrote:Very interesting to see the 'Sesame'. Frank Darrieulat's EMG record storage cabinet uses a similar idea, though with pull out shelves.

...immune from warping ...' - now that sounds ideal !

poodling around
Victor V

Gramtastic wrote:there is of course, an alternative theory that horizontal is best ! The Sesame record cabinet patented in 1921 stores them flat (horizontally) until you open the cabinet door which swings down and allows you to select a record which is now vertical... As others have said, atmospheric conditions etc are just as important as vertical/horizontal storage. Vertical storage in warm conditions with a lot of space around the records can allow the weight of the record to warp itself whereas there is not as much room to warp in a flat pile.... Either way , a warped record can easily be flattened by gentle warming in an oven and pressing between two flat sheets of wood.

You pays your money and you takes your choice !!

Yes, sadly I stored my 78's in the attic for several years vertically and warping did indeed occur ! :cry: