Garrard Electric Motor Brushes used in EMG Mark IX

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Idelia412
Victor Jr
Personal Text: EMG

Garrard Electric Motor Brushes used in EMG Mark IX

Post by Idelia412 »

Hello,

To fellow collectors across the pond. I have an EMG Mark IX with a Garrard Electric Motor with Universal Voltage settings.
I acquired the Mark IX back in 1985 while I was stationed in Harrogate. I was wondering if anyone knew where you could get new brushes for the motor? There are screw on caps on the motor where the brushes are installed. They are square in shape and are about an inch and half long or so. Does anyone know where you can get new brushes? Any help would be appreciated. The motor is running fine now, but I feel that brushes will be needed in the future.

Any help would be appreciated,

Pete Petersen

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Garrard Electric Motor Brushes used in EMG Mark IX

Post by emgcr »

Which Garrard model do you have ?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I've had very good luck ordering from this store. Nice lady on the other end, took my order by hand!

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/brushes.aspx

Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Idelia412
Victor Jr
Personal Text: EMG

Post by Idelia412 »

Thanks to both of you for the information. First off, I have the manual for the Garrard Motor and it just says "The Garrard Universal Electric Gramophone Motor." It also says has Plug In Resistance. This is a small panel on the back of the EMG that has Voltages and Cycle. Since we use 110volts and 60 cycles in the U.S. I just had to unscrew the two thumbscrews and put them in the appropriate holes to change to the U.S. current. I have a converter plug that is connected to the British plug so I can plug it into a wall socket. Since the EMG was introduced in 1932, I would think a motor made during that time frame. There are two screws on the motor that have springs attached and then square brushes attached to those. Does this make it any easier on what brushes I should order? Again, thanks hope this clarifies everything and you can determine which motor it is.