HMV 102 Record Carrier stop pegs

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
PeterF
Victor IV

HMV 102 Record Carrier stop pegs

Post by PeterF »

Do the little "Stop" rounded pegs easily go missing? My 102 has holes where they ought to be. How are they attached - friction fit, or bolted, or...? My machine is the very first version, and was found without a carrier, so perhaps it never had one and thus never had pegs...but it does have the holes for them.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV 102 Record Carrier stop pegs

Post by Phono48 »

The first versions of the 102 had a metal motorboard, either wood grained on black models, or covered with matching fabric on the coloured versions. The pegs on these were riveted on, as was the speed control plate. On later versions with the wooden motorboards, the pegs had a tapped hole in the base and were secured by a machine screw from underneath.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Took a closer look at mine, which has the metal black-painted motorboard, and the two holes have round rings/dents in the paint around them. So something was once there but has been removed.

I won a record carrier on eBay but it never arrived from UK and I got my $ refunded, so I want to be ready if and when another one becomes available.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

PeterF wrote:Took a closer look at mine, which has the metal black-painted motorboard
In all the years I've been collecting and restoring, I've never seen a 102 with a black painted motorboard. It sounds as though the original faux-woodgrain finish has got damaged, and someone has painted it black. However, you now need to get hold of two of the pegs that were used on the later models, held in with machine screws. Once the riveted ones come out, the stub is too short to refix. You'll have to shorten the machine screws quite a bit, as they were originally intended for the much thicker wooden motorboards.

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If you are unable to obtain the correct pegs, the top end of a spindle from a scrap motor is of similar diameter and can be machined to fit.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ah so now we have an interesting situation about whether the painted motorboard is original. I'll have a close look at it for evidence of re-paint, and maybe post some pix, as well as the serial number. It is definitely early, with the original complex auto-brake in place and operational, and it is all-black.

I have the book on HMV portables and will check it as well.

Thanks for the tips on pegs.