HMV 145 saved from the shabby chic movement

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

HMV 145 saved from the shabby chic movement

Post by kirtley2012 »

Just picked this up from facebook marketplace for a pretty good price, the woman selling it said if she wasn't going to sell it she'd strip it and paint the cabinet :o, couldn't have that so I bought it.
it's a HMV 145 in pretty decent shape, just a pretty worn lid, with a HMV 5A soundbox, a spare unnamed soundbox and stack of records, nothing much worth shouting about in the records, a couple of rock and roll ones mostly very worn from never using fresh needles, but some not too bad, but i'm pretty happy with the machine, I think at some point someone converted it into something, judging by some cut outs inside and another hole in the right hand side, but it must have been converted back as everything on it now is original.

She named it after the man she bought it from who was the original owner, so meet Arthur...

(click on images for them to appear the right way around)
DSC01781.JPG
DSC01783.JPG
DSC01782.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: HMV 145 saved from the shabby chic movement

Post by Phonofreak »

Great save. Way to go. I guess it's now principle to buy machines to save them from shabby chic.
Harvey Kravitz

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Well done for saving this machine. In my view there is no such thing as shabby chic. It is not chic, just shabby.

An HMV145 was my everyday player for over 40 years, and punched well above it's size for sound quality. Having acquired larger and rarer machines I eventually sold it to a collector friend who lives about 400 yards from me, so I still regularly hear it.

The motor was fully rebuilt with new springs in 1987 by the late Philip Knighton (The Gramophone Man of Wellington, Somerset) and runs faultlessly. The No.5A soundbox has not been touched since my original purchase in 1965, and still sounds as good as any I have heard. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Great machine and good save. Yes, stopping the scrap drive in the war on good taste is a beneficial thing. Probably this lady didn't know that wood can be refinished without a furniture-factory...always good giving them the benefit of the doubt.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

kirtley2012 wrote:Just picked this up from facebook marketplace for a pretty good price, the woman selling it said if she wasn't going to sell it she'd strip it and paint the cabinet :o, couldn't have that so I bought it.
it's a HMV 145 in pretty decent shape, just a pretty worn lid, with a HMV 5A soundbox, a spare unnamed soundbox and stack of records, nothing much worth shouting about in the records, a couple of rock and roll ones mostly very worn from never using fresh needles, but some not too bad, but i'm pretty happy with the machine, I think at some point someone converted it into something, judging by some cut outs inside and another hole in the right hand side, but it must have been converted back as everything on it now is original.

She named it after the man she bought it from who was the original owner, so meet Arthur...

(click on images for them to appear the right way around)

I've got 8 machines for you to save when are you coming to buy them ? :twisted:
DSC01781.JPG
DSC01783.JPG
DSC01782.JPG

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Shabby chic-EEK!edisonplayer

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

How about this rescue - this poor horn machine had been got at by the shabby-chic'ers and had been painted Pink and gold !! As if it hadn't suffered enough indignity, when it arrived it had also been smashed to bits in the post. The paint was so evil I had to have it chemically stripped back to the oak and then reassemble the poor thing. I am pleased with the result though !!
Attachments
100_5834.JPG
100_5816.JPG
100_5772.JPG

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Pepto-Bismol pink! :lol: edisonplayer

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Great save. A nice model. I have one I bought from an antique store in D.C. The dealer's plaque says it came from C. Bruce Miller in Aberdeen Scotland. Now it resides with me in Chicago. I can not see but does yours have the automatic stop and start on it? That feature was new to me and it works great.