What is this German gramophone..thing?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: What is this German gramophone..thing?

Post by CarlosV »

Looks original to me, apart from the soundbox. It actually shares some commonalities with other DG/HMV designs, like the English Bijou and Sheraton models, with quite the same horn and with the back door. It seems built for a commercial installation, like a shop or a bar. The motor and arm are HMV, which is expected, as DG and HMV utilized common hardware.

Not a bargain, though.

Maybe some forum members with DG catalogues can search for this model and bring some more informed light on this.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Garret wrote:Ah yes. :oops: Something seemed off. However, what can be explained regarding the DGAG stamp?

Garret
it is clearly a marriage between the outer box and a DGAG upright cabinet hence the piece of wood with the stamp , if it was an original machine it would be easily identifiable from DGAG catalogues AND a similar machine would have been available in the UK from the gramophone company , it is 100% a marriage ,

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

CarlosV wrote:Looks original to me, apart from the soundbox. It actually shares some commonalities with other DG/HMV designs, like the English Bijou and Sheraton models, with quite the same horn and with the back door. It seems built for a commercial installation, like a shop or a bar. The motor and arm are HMV, which is expected, as DG and HMV utilized common hardware.

Not a bargain, though.

Maybe some forum members with DG catalogues can search for this model and bring some more informed light on this.
Nothing like a Sheraton or Bijou , the quality isn't right . wood inserts are too clunky
Attachments
asherat.jpeg
asherat.jpeg (51.94 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
abij.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

On close examination of the pictures one can see that the original Ivorine disc is missing from the turntable wooden base , and looking at the orientation of the motor and speed control the winding handle must exit at the side of the case but there is no winding hole there or anywhere else for that matter , so how the mechanism is to be wound is a puzzle and one which the jointogetherer didn't solve as the vendor also cannot find it either as he states in his description ( free translation )

"Hello!

Sell ​​from family discount this old gramophone. Unfortunately, I do not know that at all, I do not even know where to put the crank. If interested, please contact.

Dimensions: height 140 cm, width 68 cm, depth 55 cm
The disc that used to be in the lower door is missing.
I will gladly send you further detailed photos by email.

Since I still offer the Gramophon somewhere else, it can happen that I take the offer out here.

No shipping possible, I could bring the Gramophon to you, along the route Koblenz-Dresden. "

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

soundgen wrote:
Garret wrote:Ah yes. :oops: Something seemed off. However, what can be explained regarding the DGAG stamp?

Garret
it is clearly a marriage between the outer box and a DGAG upright cabinet hence the piece of wood with the stamp , if it was an original machine it would be easily identifiable from DGAG catalogues AND a similar machine would have been available in the UK from the gramophone company , it is 100% a marriage ,
Thank you! I don't have any DGAG catalogs handy, so that's why I asked!

Best,

Garret

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

soundgen wrote:On close examination of the pictures one can see that the original Ivorine disc is missing from the turntable wooden base , and looking at the orientation of the motor and speed control the winding handle must exit at the side of the case but there is no winding hole there or anywhere else for that matter , so how the mechanism is to be wound is a puzzle and one which the jointogetherer didn't solve as the vendor also cannot find it either as he states in his description ( free translation )

"Hello!

Sell ​​from family discount this old gramophone. Unfortunately, I do not know that at all, I do not even know where to put the crank. If interested, please contact.

Dimensions: height 140 cm, width 68 cm, depth 55 cm
The disc that used to be in the lower door is missing.
I will gladly send you further detailed photos by email.

Since I still offer the Gramophon somewhere else, it can happen that I take the offer out here.

No shipping possible, I could bring the Gramophon to you, along the route Koblenz-Dresden. "
Just 2 points

1.) Verkaufe aus Familiennachlass diesen alten Gramophon. Leider kenne ich mich damit überhaupt nicht aus, ich weiß nicht mal, wo man die Kurbel rein stecken muss.
Sell ​​from family inheritance (estate) this old gramophone (not a family discount store in sight)

2.) Seller knows nothing at all - thus one has to wonder about the competence of the pricing?

I have seen a lot of HMV catalogs & never item like this. Though the workmanship and aesthetic looks very good. Which will make refabricating the missing pieces $$$$$

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

"Though the workmanship and aesthetic looks very good"

No it doesn't . It's a marriage and can't even be wound up there is no winding hole

"On close examination of the pictures one can see that the original Ivorine disc is missing from the turntable wooden base , and looking at the orientation of the motor and speed control the winding handle must exit at the side of the case but there is no winding hole there or anywhere else for that matter , so how the mechanism is to be wound is a puzzle and one which the jointogetherer didn't solve as the vendor also cannot find it either as he states in his description"

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Garret wrote:Hello All,

Can anyone shed light on this machine? Does the DGAG stamp indicate that this was an actual, known model that is factory original?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Schank-Grammoph ... 3099713277

Thanks!

Garret
That motor is a high end HMV motor, used on such machines as the HMV Senior Monarch Ionic. It is a nickel plated motor, same as is found in the Victor V, VI and VTLA.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

New message to: oppelner
No I have enough firewood thank you !

YOU:
You wanna get it, don't You?

acdforucouk:
It's a marriage not original , you can't even wind it up whoever put it together forgot to make a winding hole , Eur 5,000 in your dreams

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 66#p219889