Balfour Davey

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Balfour Davey

Post by chunnybh »

Here is an article from September 1926 in The Gramophone.
Is this Balfour Davey or is it another Davey. I've seen the article before but comparing it to the recently found picture of Balfour Davey, it look like the same person. Those ears!
Attachments
HB Davey1.jpg
Davey.jpg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Balfour Davey

Post by drh »

Davey and Goliath?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

drh wrote:Davey and Goliath?
That's a blast from the past... ;) (I remember watching that).

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Someone may recognise the uniform in the first picture, which should help with identification.

The Frank James book tells us that Balfour Davey served with the North Staffordshire Regiment during WW1 before transferring to the Royal Flying Corps. His younger brother Francis served with the Royal Engineers and from 1921 the Royal Signals.

The gentleman posing (slouching?) by the gramophone in the second picture may be it's designer Mr Davey, but he does not have the look of a military man and bears no resemblance to either Balfour or Francis.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

The first uniformed gentleman is Balfour Davey.
I'm wondering if the second picture is also Balfour Davey. How many Davey's would be into making huge horned gramophones?.
We know that Balfour Davey was experimenting with gramophone design four years prior to joining EMG.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

chunnybh wrote:The first uniformed gentleman is Balfour Davey.
I'm wondering if the second picture is also Balfour Davey. How many Davey's would be into making huge horned gramophones?.
We know that Balfour Davey was experimenting with gramophone design four years prior to joining EMG.
The setup of the machine has a sort of family resemblance to that very early EMG machine which was made from a nodified HMV floor model.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

What an intriguing possibility. Agreed, the gentleman in the second photo has neither the look of a military man nor a resemblance Davey himself - but he looks more gormless than proud, so maybe he's not the inventor in any case, just some bystander!

I concur Chunny, the circumstantial evidence is quite strong. Perhaps a genealogist could make something of the Silvertown connection.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?