What HMV model is this ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

What HMV model is this ?

Post by Gramtastic »

Currently on Ebay in UK - what model is this ??
Attachments
green hmv.jpg
green hmv 2.jpg

Teak
Victor II

Re: What HMV model is this ?

Post by Teak »

It is a very crudely painted hmv 114. The horror ^^

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

I have been told it is actually an original 94 ?

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

It is absolutely, positively a HMV 114, made in Calcutta, destroyed at some point in the 70s i guess ^^

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Well, if it is really a teak HMV 114 then it should be well worth restoring. Aside from the green paint it looks to be in good condition. What I find strange is that the leather handle also seems to be a greenish color. Is it certain that no such green variant existed? Just curious.

Andreas

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A link to the eBay listing would be appreciated.
The HMV 114 was made in polished teak or brown leathercloth, but there may have been other versions. With Indian machines one can never be certain what is "right" or "wrong".

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

It's a perfectly original machine. I had a green 114, years ago. It was brought back to England by a retired civil servant. I commented on the colour, and was told that for a small extra charge, you could order one in any colour you wanted.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

I am 99% certain it is an original colour - there is no evidence of repainting around the transfer. (I would post the link but have never been able to find out how to do it.... if anyone wants to tell me that it would be useful !)
Attachments
hmv logo.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Gramtastic wrote:I am 99% certain it is an original colour - there is no evidence of repainting around the transfer. (I would post the link but have never been able to find out how to do it.... if anyone wants to tell me that it would be useful !)
I see nothing sloppy about the paint job--just old and scuffed. In fact, where the paint has worn away, I don't see the telltale signs of shellac or lacquer on the wood. Also, the handle shows up green on my screen. My guess would be factory original or a special custom job.

---------------------------

To post a link, call up the ebay auction page and simply move your cursor over where the website address appears at the top of your browser to highlight the entire web address (URL). Then, right-click and select "Copy." You can also hold down the CTRL key and press the C key to copy.

Then, go to this forum, and in your message simply paste the link wherever you want it. When someone clicks on it, they'll be taken to the ebay auction page.

HTH,
OrthoFan

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »