Please id this sound box ...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Re: Please id this sound box ...

Post by soundgen »

poodling around wrote:
epigramophone wrote:Decca never made their own soundboxes. Even those bearing the Decca name were bought in from other manufacturers. The No.8 was made by Paillard.

After WW2 Decca acquired the rights to the excellent Meltrope soundbox, which was then badged as a Decca and fitted to many of their post war portables.

Thank you very much,

Do you have any idea please as to when our sound box may have been made please I wonder ?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

soundgen wrote:
poodling around wrote:
epigramophone wrote:Decca never made their own soundboxes. Even those bearing the Decca name were bought in from other manufacturers. The No.8 was made by Paillard.

After WW2 Decca acquired the rights to the excellent Meltrope soundbox, which was then badged as a Decca and fitted to many of their post war portables.

Thank you very much,

Do you have any idea please as to when our sound box may have been made please I wonder ?

Brilliant ! thank you very much soundgen !!!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

soundgen wrote:
poodling around wrote:

Thank you very much,

1926 was the year Decca introduced the Telesmatic soundbox, which had a mica diaphragm and and a black rubber connector which is often missing on surviving examples.
To the best of my knowledge the No.8 soundbox, with various designs of front mask, was introduced in 1928/29 on the new "Salon" Decca range.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: To the best of my knowledge the No.8 soundbox, with various designs of front mask, was introduced in 1928/29 on the new "Salon" Decca range.
1928/29 is what I've always understood to be the right date, too.