Help with Expert Junior Transportation from south to north

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Help with Expert Junior Transportation from south to north

Post by kirtley2012 »

Not sure if this is the place for this... but anyway...

I believe I'm the soon-to-be owner of an Expert Junior Gramophone, I've long wanted an EMG or Expert, so I'm a bit chuffed, but there is a problem in that it's in Exeter and I'm in Alston, Cumbria and I need to find a way to bring it northward, packaging and shipping is not an option, anyone have a suggestion or know anyone who may be able to help?, unfortunately I don't drive, otherwise it may make things quite a bit simpler

Cheers

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Help with Expert Junior Transportation from south to nor

Post by chunnybh »

How very exciting.
I've used Shiply before. Just read the reviews before you choose the courier. A lot of them will blanket wrap. Make sure it's delivered on the same day it's collected.
Good luck.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Fantastic Alex, I'm so pleased for you!

Just to add to Chunny's advice: make sure they understand how fragile the horn is, being made of paper of course - susceptible to all kinds of damage (crushing, impact, scuffing, etc). Of course that might possibly run the risk of them declining the job, but the most important thing is to protect it.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Sorry, collection in person really is the only recommended route. I'd never trust any courier to transport an Expert machine. I was in Exeter last week too! Oh well.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Chunny, was that courier used for transporting an EMG?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Hi Alex,
Yes, I have had several EMG's delivered by couriers using Shiply. I've been lucky with no damage. If you can, of course collect it yourself. Being at the other end of the world, I had little choice and all the couriers I have used through Shiply have been great except one. He collected a Cascade II with Wilson Horn on the date specified but did not deliver it until 3 weeks later. Boy, was I stressed out. In the end it was delivered with no damage. My mistake, I should have checked his feedback before booking him.
I once drove all the way from London to Belgium and back again just to collect an Expert Junior. I used a courier the next time, saving me a lot of money and from a dull drive.
I'm afraid, with transporting these delicate gems, there is always an element of risk. I have a friend who collected his Victor 6 from only a few miles away and then had a crash on the way home. He was fine but the lovely wooden horn was wrecked.