A very early record shop.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

A very early record shop.

Post by epigramophone »

The cylinder phonograph lost the battle with the disc gramophone much sooner in the UK than in the USA, so this photo of J.Hollier's Phonograph and Record Supply at 53 Dean Lane, Bedminster, Bristol is unusual and probably dates from the first decade of the 20th century.

The window display is lined with cylinders, and there is an impressive array of machines behind them. I don't see any of those newfangled discs.
Attachments
j hollier's 53 dean lane bedminster.jpg
j hollier's 53 dean lane bedminster.jpg (116.41 KiB) Viewed 1457 times

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: A very early record shop.

Post by emgcr »

Great photo Roger and many thanks for sharing.

Happy Christmas.

Graham

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

A few days ago, as an attempt to see wether such a thing were possible, I took a Google walking tour through some places I once regularly visited in Italy (the Gran Sasso in the Abruzzo province). I used the satellite function and was able to "walk" down some streets I once did now quite some time ago. Well, I just took a look at 53 Dean Lane, first to see if the building still stood--it did--and second wether it retained any semblance of itself as a phonograph store. Nope. It's been turned into a residence, although the door is still in the same place. It is adjacent to a fish and chips shop.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

What I find particularly intriguing is the posters in the window. Presumably that isn't actually a naked lady holding up a trumpet? And there definitely appears to be a horn machine at the centre of the middle posters. Sad to think these posters may be rarer than the machines they promote if indeed any have survived. I suspect wonderful images and history lost.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ The lady is definitely clothed. I can't identify her. Maybe she's some English music hall performer / star who made cylinders ?