EXTERNAL HORN COVER.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

EXTERNAL HORN COVER.

Post by old country chemist »

Greetings to all of you folks on the forum. I wish you all a "GUID NEW YEAR!" as we say in Scotland.
Years ago, I looked after a Davey 10b Oversize machine. I decided one day to use a vacuum cleaner attachment fitted with a rubber connector, and dangle it down inside the longhorn to see if anything was lurking. Indeed, there were several items of interest, mainly a mouthpiece for a small "kazoo", one large dead moth, some small bits of card and paper and some small bits of what looked like plaster. I assumed they had fallen into the horn over many years, either by straying childrens hands or otherwise. I then connected the rubber tubing to the end of the tone arm, and sucked anything out of the whole system that may have been there!
Recently, when visiting my pal Frank James, the "EMG" and "Expert" Guru, I noticed a very nice black elasticated horn cover over the mouth of his "Senior, and thought that this might be an easy item to replicate. I asked my wife if it were possible to make one in a light colour to near match the creamy coloured horn. She did so, and said it was not such an easy item to make after all., but she did it, and yesterday, as one of my Christmas presents, we carefully put it on over the horn, It was a two man job to get it over the horn all the way round, but it will stay on until the next time the gramophone is put into service. I am hopefully placing a picture on the forum for you all. I occasionally look in to see what all you folks are doing. Fascinating reading! Keep it up. What a wonderful hobby it is, and I am just as interested now as I was when I first started in collecting earnestly in 1962 or so.
All the best! from Alastair Murray.
Attachments
horn cover etc 008.JPG

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: EXTERNAL HORN COVER.

Post by AZ* »

Kind of reminds me of the Sousaphone bell covers used by some marching bands.
Attachments
IMG_8418.JPG
Best regards ... AZ*

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Very nice Alastair. Jane has done a good job and may have created a niche market.

Having also seen the Sousaphone covers, you could always add some of your own artwork!

Roger.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Use a period valve radio tapestry grille cloth and just leave it on! :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I am very happy with the horn cover of my Expert bought from Alastair. It prevents insects from flying into the machine. When playing my EMG some years ago I noticed strange sounds, and only after disassembly I found a still alive (and kicking) moth, that somehow travelled all the way through the long and winding road from the horn mouth to the conduit between the horn and the arm. I considered making one for the EMG, but it is in my to-do list.